Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hideez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2005, 09:52 PM
    non-human animals
    Do Non-human animals have values and beliefs?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2005, 05:20 AM
    Do they have a conscience?
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 7, 2005, 06:04 PM
    Chimpanzee have learned to use tools to get to termite, I would say yes. You have to believe in something if you can figure out how to use a tool.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2005, 09:19 PM
    If you don't think animals have values and beliefs, you haven't seen my Aster if I open the freezer and forget to give her an ice cube.
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 09:06 AM
    Two comments:

1) Various studies have shown that some animals have the ability to lie or decieve (eg hide some bananas under a box while a rival watches, then move them as soon as their back is turned.)
    Furthermore, the same species are able to project the possablilty that they are a victim of deciept, and respond... which often then leads to a double-bluff etc etc.

All of the above requires imaginiation, invention, etc, and social awareness: the number one reason for large groups of primates developing larger brains to handle political and social alliances, plotting, power-games etc.

I would maintain that these skills what lead to "wider" consciousness, a belief in what is or is not "right" in a wider sense that may not be immediately beneficial to the individual.

My second comment:

2) What beliefs do you refer to? There is a strong argument to suggest that our OWN moral beliefs are simply an instinctive reaction to preserve genetic stability within the species. There isn't room to give the full argument for this here, but believe me when I say that even if you don't accept the idea, it is VERY hard to disprove... in which case, perhaps other non-human animals do not have a wider belief system... just that we have a narrower one tan we give outselves credit-for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Evolution [ 29 Answers ]

If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on this earth? Why didn't they evolve?

Birds and animals [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know if it's safe to paint around birds. (wall and ceiling painting.

Human Dignity [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, During WW-II many Christians were sent to Nazi camps because of their beliefs. They were remarkable in that they demenstrated their integrity to God. It was not easy because they were abused, women had their hair cut off and everything they owned or loved were stripped from them....

Animals [ 2 Answers ]

My cat was diagnosed with a lung infection. Does litter box dust or litter box deodorizers cause this problem? She is also having some type of breathing attack. Her breathing is heavy and when she has these attacks she is gasping for breath. The vet prescribed CLAVAMOX. She is an older cat over...

I am only human [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Ok, I blew it. I contacted my ex after a 3 week period of no contact. I feel like crap and I am beating myself up. I had a lot of support from all of you, and I appreciate it. But, I do make mistakes. She didn't have time for me and said she said she didn't have time to contact...

View more questions Search