Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdsmith7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Heir property laws in Louisiana, Who actually own it?
    Who Actually Own Heir Property?

Grandparents had 13 children with 13 acres and dispersed to children accordingly. My mother and her three sisters received 2 acres out of the 13 acres. They all received 1/4 of that 2 acres each. My mother own 1/2-one of her sisters gave it to her (It is noted with the accessors office) of the original 2 acres. The bill to pay the property tax is mailed to my mother's address. The other two sisters are listed on the tax bill as owners-and these two sisters that are listed have surviving children. All three of her sisters have died, and my mother is now deceased since March of 2013. My mother has paid the entire amount of taxes due on the property during some of the sisters life time and with each death of each sister, my mother continued to pay the property tax on the property. Since my mother's death my siblings and I will pay the tax on porperty for the year 2013. If my siblings and I were to pursue total ownership of the 2 acres, what legal steps would we have to take under Louisiana law to achieve this course of action? Is a surviving spouse of a now deceased son of one of the deceased sisters that is listed on the property tax considered heir of this property as well? This deceased son has surviving children.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2013, 11:18 AM
    First LA has the most complex laws of inheritance of any state. Second, the first question that needs to be answered is how the property was titled.

The second question that needs to be answered is how the property was divided. When the grandparents divided the 13 acres, did they create new subdivisions? Were there new deeds issued for each parcel?

The 2 acres that your mom and her three sisters received, was that parceled into a new deed? If the 2 acres were a single parcel, does the deed record that your mom owns 1/2 and the other 2 sisters 1/4 each? Did they own as tenants in common of joint tenants with right of survivorship? Did any of the 4 sisters leave a will that divides their estate? Did the other sisters have offspring or heirs?

These are all questions that need to be answered before any determination can be made as to who actually owns the property now.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Aside from the complex laws of your state, there is the question of wills. You need to find out if each of the sisters had them.
    Paying taxes on property in their names doesn't give you (or your mother) any claim, unless there were agreements in writing, or possibly verbally, if there is enough to substantiate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana law heir property [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lived on 70 acres lad that she got half of when my grandfather died- and his children got the other half. When she died she gave her interest to my brother and when my mother died- she gave her interest to her children (four of us). The three of us (brother and two sisters or...

Property laws in Louisiana [ 3 Answers ]

I am 1/3 owner of a property and there has been a lien put on it for 1 of the owners , am I responsible for the lien ? Would it be taken from my share if the land was sold?

Heir property in Louisiana [ 1 Answers ]

My father died in 1964, with a will; leaving an undivided one-half to my mother and an undivided one-half to me and my two sisters. She remarried about a year later, and she and her new husband somehow either sold or somehow got rid of the property. I don't know how (maybe you can answer), how...

Family Members Sold/Sold Louisiana HEIR PROPERTY [ 9 Answers ]

My mother and her siblings has heir property from their grandfather. After the grandfather(original owner) died the property became heir,the owner had wife. The wife and her son started selling to people that built or put homes on the heir property and only left 6 acres. Now the wife and only son...

Louisiana property inheritance laws? [ 4 Answers ]

If the prpoerty belonged to mother and father with two children, and the mother passes away with no will, who has legal right to the property? How would it be split between the father and two childern?

View more questions Search