Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwalters0915 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 07:38 AM
    My son vomited 5 minutes after the nurse administered drug what should that nurse do?
    I took my son to the doctor and the nurse administered a drug, 5 minutes after she did he started to vomit. What should that nurse have done in that situation?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 11, 2013, 07:39 AM
    Really, the nurse will know what to do, or are you trying to second guess a health care professional?
    Without knowing more of the situation it's very difficult to advise further.
    After all the medication may well be designed to induce vomiting..

Oct 11, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Really, the nurse will know what to do, or are you trying to second guess a health care professional ?!
    Without knowing more of the situation it's very difficult to advise further.
    After all the medication may well be designed to induce vomiting..
    No actually I am studying to be a medical assistant and I have to research what nurses would do in this situation, but thanks for the rudeness!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kwalters0915 View Post
    No actually I am studying to be a medical assistant and I have to research what nurses would do in this situation, but thanks for the rudeness!
    It would have helped if you would have included this information in your original post. By not doing so, you hamstrung Curlyben or anyone else who would have answered. There was no context to your question, so he answered it correctly at face value.

>moved thread to a homework board<

Oct 11, 2013, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It would have helped if you would have included this information in your original post. By not doing so, you hamstrung Curlyben or anyone else who would have answered. There was no context to your question, so he answered it correctly at face value.

>moved thread to a homework board<
    There was no reason for him to have gotten rude with me, even if I was second guessing, maybe as a concerned parent I was worried that the appropriate action wasn't taken, there have been cases of medical malpractice. I included what I was given to research, I have no more information on the question. I worded the question exactly how my school worded it to me. Sorry if there was a problem with that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 08:34 AM
    There was no reason for him to have gotten rude with me, even if i was second guessing, maybe as a concerned parent i was worried that the appropriate action wasnt taken, there have been cases of medical malpractice. I included what I was given to research, I have no more information on the question. I worded the question exactly how my school worded it to me. Sorry if there was a problem with that.
    We didn't know if this was your personal experience or a homework question -- or what. Curlyben answered appropriately. I see no rudeness in his response.

Oct 11, 2013, 08:47 AM
    We didn't know if this was your personal experience or a homework question -- or what. Curlyben answered appropriately. I see no rudeness in his response.
    OK well sorry but I took it as being rude. I mean I understand that usually nurses would know what to do but again there have been several medical malpractice of this sort so even if I was just a concerned parent then it could be a legit question. I also understand that there is not much information included in the question, this is why I choose to do my research on here because I don't know why the child was at the doctor, I don't know what medication was given or if he was expierenceing vomiting before he came in. I am sorry guys.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 08:50 AM
    i dont know why the child was at the doctor, i dont know what medication was given or if he was expierenceing vomiting before he came in. i am sorry guys.
    We don't know either why the child was at the doctor, etc. That's why the response had to be asking questions, not giving answers.

And thank you for your apology. I hope Ben sees it.

Oct 11, 2013, 08:53 AM
    We don't know either why the child was at the doctor, etc. That's why the response had to be asking questions, not giving answers.

And thank you for your apology. I hope Ben sees it.

Thank you, and I hope that he does as well.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 08:56 AM
    Thank you, and I hope that he does as well.
    I hope you stick around and ask us more questions -- and also answer questions on various boards where you have some knowledge and expertise. Just be sure to be as complete as possible. ;)

Oct 11, 2013, 09:05 AM
    I hope you stick around and ask us more questions -- and also answer questions on various boards where you have some knowledge and expertise. Just be sure to be as complete as possible. ;)

Oh I will I am only in my 8th week of school so I am sure that all of your expertise could be very helpful to me. This was a miscommunication on my part and nobody else's :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Oh I will i am only in my 8th week of school so I am sure that all of your expertise could be very helpful to me. This was a miscommunication on my part and nobody else's :)
    It takes a big person to admit that.

One thing a lot of people don't understand when they ask a question here, is that we can't provide an answer when not enough info is given.

But we also understand that providing all the info isn't easy either. The written word really is the worst form of communication. Alas, that's what we have to work with on this site.

So, just one suggestion when you post again. Provide as much info as possible. Read your question the way someone that doesn't know all the details would read it. You know what's going on, we don't. We can't answer unless the information is provided. If we ask questions to get a better understanding of the situation, answer them the best you can, that will only help us give a better answer.

Last suggestion. Remember that writing is not a great way to communicate. If you feel someone was being rude, talk to them about it. Express that in a way that opens up communication about it.

Welcome to the site. :)
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 04:17 PM
    I'm going to reach way back into my nursing days here---But following the ABCs.
    A-airway
    B-breathing
    C-circulation
    The nurse would need to make sure that the patient is maintained in a position that will prevent aspiration, and make certain that all the vomitus has been expelled, for starters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you go from being navy nurse to a civilian nurse [ 1 Answers ]

I will be obtaining my (BSN) in a few months and I was considering serving full-time in the Navy Nurse Corps. I would like to serve five or more years and then consider becoming a civilian nurse. Will serving in the (NNC) benefit me at all if I decide to become a civilian nurse.

I have a drug conviction and I want to be a nurse. [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Ron. I have a 2002 drug conviction. Can I still be a LPN? Will my record stop me from this career.:(

Why should I become a nurse [ 6 Answers ]

I just want to know why to become a nurse what do I get out of it:)

Should I become a nurse? [ 10 Answers ]

I am profoundly deaf (very deaf) I have always wanted to become a nurse since I was young, my parents are both registered nurses (my dad works as a NUM (nursing unit manager) at a woman's correction centre, goal) and my mum works at a disability unit at westmead hospital. I was told at school...

View more questions Search