Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ask4help Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2005, 04:40 PM
    9-year old Matag Dryer won't start
    My 9 year-old Electrical Matag dryer did not start, after I reset the circuit breaker, the circuit breaker trips when I plug in the power cord of the dryer.
    The resistance between two ends of the start switch(not pressed) is about 2k ohm when dryer door is closed, the resistance is open when dryer door is open. There is also about 2k ohm between netural(middle) and one end of the power at terminal block. Any idea what's wrong?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2005, 06:20 PM
    It sounds to me like there is a short in the start switch, perhaps the housing is carbonized from 9 years of arcing each time it opens and closes. I think the start switch should be hot on one side and the other side connected to the neutral through a relay coil, open in the off position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Senseon dryer won't start [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Senseon electric dryer (model GEQ9858JQ0, same as in another post - "Whilrpool dryer keeps shutting off" from 2/9/06). It's about five years old. The dryer worked fine until today. We ran several loads through it just fine today, then it wouldn't start when pressing the Start...

Kenmore HE4 dryer won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a kenmore HE4 dryer less than a year old. It lights up and lets me choose my drying options, but when I press start it just beeps like it does when the door is not shut properly. The light burned out yesterday could it be related? It is driving me crazy because I keep thinking it must be...

Electric dryer heats up, won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty dryer that heats up, but nothing happens when I press that start button. By heating up, I mean I turn the timer dial and I can open the door, look inside, and see the glowing red heating element and it is still heating with the door open. Pressing the start button,...

Kenmore dryer won't start [ 2 Answers ]

No problem at breaker/fuse box. Outlet appears fine. Light on in dryer when door opens. Any suggestions?

Older Maytag dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Maytag dryer that will start one out of three times. Sometimes, it will chug like a car that won't turn over. We really don't want to have to buy a new dryer, so if there is a cheaper alternative please help!

View more questions Search