Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DH093 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
    Distraught Father
    I am a single father of a 17 year old daughter. I took her to the OBGYN today as she had symptoms of a yeast infection. They performed a wet prep without consulting me.During the internal exam they broke her hymen as she is a virgin.It was on file that she does not get internal exams for her annual exams and she was asked if she was sexually active to which she responded NO. Is an internal exam the only way to diagnose a yeast infect? My daughter is very distraught over this ordeal as am I. I feel that this may have been an unnecessary procedure and am not sure what to tell my daughter.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
    She is still a virgin.

One of our medical people here will have to tell you if there is an alternate way to determine a yeast infection. I'm thinking a "sniff" test might be all that's needed since a yeast infection has its own unique odor.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    She is still a virgin.

One of our medical people here will have to tell you if there is an alternate way to determine a yeast infection. I'm thinking a "sniff" test might be all that's needed since a yeast infection has its own unique odor.
    OMG! Are you seriously advising this poster to sniff his daughter's vagina, or ask her to sniff it, to determine if she has a yeast infection?

I think I'll go bang my head against a wall now.

To the OP:

Vaginal yeast infections fact sheet | womenshealth.gov
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    OMG! Are you seriously advising this poster to sniff his daughter's vagina, or ask her to sniff it, to determine if she has a yeast infection?
    Absolutely not! But if it's a yeast infection, the odor is often obvious when one is near the person. A doctor would know right away just by the odor.
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Absolutely not! But if it's a yeast infection, the odor is often obvious when one is near the person. A doctor would know right away just by the odor.
    Nope. Wrong!

Unless the doctor tests, he won't know if the odor is from a yeast infection, an STD, bladder infection, etc. etc.

There are many causes of vaginal odor, yeast infections are only one of the causes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    There are many causes of vaginal odor, yeast infections are only one of the causes.
    I've worked with many women for many years. We always knew when someone had a yeast infection.

"[A yeast infection] smells like bread or beer. In fact, it smells pretty much exactly like yeast, although the yeast used in brewing and baking is an entirely different species (Saccharomyces cerevisiae). No bacteria could smell like that, so it's a great diagnostic."

Symptoms of Yeast Infections
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 08:44 PM
    I've worked with many women for many years. We always knew when someone had a yeast infection.

"[A yeast infection] smells like bread or beer. In fact, it smells pretty much exactly like yeast, although the yeast used in brewing and baking is an entirely different species (Saccharomyces cerevisiae). No bacteria could smell like that, so it's a great diagnostic."

Symptoms of Yeast Infections
    Odd. I am a woman, have been since my birth 43 years ago. I've had yeast infections, more than a few. To this day I can't diagnose one just by the smell. I always go to my doctor.

I've never been able to diagnose other women I worked with just by smell. How did you know when the women around you had a yeast infection? Even if you stuck your nose right in there, you wouldn't be able to positively diagnose a yeast infection.

You must have special powers.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
    I get yeast infections often.

I know I have them by the symptoms--NEVER by the smell. And the only reason I know the symptoms is because I get the infections often (it is linked to my gluten intolerance).

To the OP--Every time I have had a yeast infection, they have done an internal swab. While I am not a nurse or doctor, I'm pretty sure that's the only way they can get a non-contaminated sample to determine what the infection is and how to fight it. Hopefully one of our medical experts is along shortly to verify whether I am correct on this.

I hope your daughter feels better soon. A yeast infection is so uncomfortable!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
    To the OP...

I am not going to be able to medically answer your question other than that I am fairly sure that an examination is pretty much needed for a diagnosis. I would like to know though, how you know her hymen was broken? It could just be incidental bleeding from the exam.

What I really want to address, and I could be wrong... are you feeling guilty for her being examined like this? I get a feeling from reading this that you may feel like you let her down or failed her somehow and you are blaming yourself. I am a father too and I can almost see this between the lines of what you've written. If that is the case, you can't fault yourself... you have to assume that the doctors know what they are doing and what is best for your daughter in this case. Maybe it was more than she had expected but if it was, it is in no way your fault.
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    To the OP....

I am not going to be able to medically answer your question other than that I am fairly sure that an examination is pretty much needed for a diagnosis. I would like to know though, how you know her hymen was broken? It could just be incidental bleeding from the exam.

What i really want to address, and I could be wrong....are you feeling guilty for her being examined like this? I get a feeling from reading this that you may feel like you let her down or failed her somehow and you are blaming yourself. I am a father too and I can almost see this between the lines of what you've written. If that is the case, you can't fault yourself...you have to assume that the doctors know what they are doing and what is best for your daughter in this case. Maybe it was more than she had expected but if it was, it is in no way your fault.
    I'm 43, I have two kids. I'm very obviously not a virgin, hymen is long gone. I get my regular exam every single year, and I bleed every time. I've had numerious yeast infections, been tested every time, and bled every time. Sorry for the TMI.

Bleeding during this type of exam is not uncommon. It doesn't mean that the hymen was broken. If she talked to the doctor before the exam, and informed the doctor that she isn't sexually active, is a virgin, the doctor would have used equipment to make sure he didn't jeopardize that.

I agree that it sounds like the OP may be feeling unnecessary guilt for this. No guilt is warranted here.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:08 PM
    She is still a virgin.

You are so wrong here! Just disgusting!

OP,
    Please do not feel guilty about this. As Alty, O, and Syn said, sometimes an internal examination can cause bleeding.

Also, I have never heard of sniffing a vagina for a diagnosis. You did the right thing by bringing her into a doctor.
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    You are so wrong here! Just disgusting!

OP,
    please do not feel guilty about this. As Alty, O,.and Syn said, sometimes an internal examination can cause bleeding.

Also, I have never heard of sniffing a vagina for a diagnosis. You did the right thing by bringing her into a doctor.
    I have to spread the rep, but I couldn't agree more.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    Also, I have never heard of sniffing a vagina for a diagnosis.
    I did not say that.
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:54 PM
    I did not say that.
    I'm thinking a "sniff" test might be all that's needed since a yeast infection has its own unique odor
    What is the OP sniffing to diagnose this yeast infection, if not the vagina? Is he worried about the day old bread in his pantry? Is that what your advice was meant to diagnose?
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:55 PM
    I did not say that.
    Well one might believe that by the way you worded your post.

It's all about verbiage...

Oh and your other post was very comical. I have never known a person to determine if another woman has a yeast infection simply by the aroma in the air. Then again you are Wonder Girl.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
    To the OP... Please pay no attention to the advice of Wondergirl. She is not a medical professional and there is no such thing as a "sniff test."

I AM a medical professional and would never diagnose an infection by smell alone. The doctor performed a medically appropriate examination. A wet prep is appropriate using a speculum, as is a bimanual exam using fingers inside the vagina with pressure to the exterior abdomen. There are several infections that carry the same symptoms. All of these infections need to be ruled out so as to protect the reproductive health of your daughter.

Rest assured she is still a virgin as there has not been penetration into the vagina by a penis. Many girls lose their hymen for reasons other than sex and are still virgins.

Rather than you and your daughter being "distraught," you should be thankful that the treatment provided by this doctor was medically accurate and appropriate.
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    To the OP..... Please pay no attention to the advice of Wondergirl. She is not a medical professional and there is no such thing as a "sniff test."

I AM a medical professional and would never diagnose an infection by smell alone. The doctor performed a medically appropriate examination. A wet prep is appropriate using a speculum, as is a bimanual exam using fingers inside the vagina with pressure to the exterior abdomen. There are several infections that carry the same symptoms. All of these infections need to be ruled out so as to protect the reproductive health of your daughter.

Rest assured she is still a virgin as there has not been penetration into the vagina by a penis. Many girls lose their hymen for reasons other than sex and are still virgins.

Rather than you and your daughter being "distraught," you should be thankful that the treatment provided by this doctor was medically accurate and appropriate.
    Great advice!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 07:11 AM
    I am glad I stayed out of this one, siting how some replies developed. I must say it should have been done more diplomatically towards WG. Are we not a team here? What must the new OP think of us?

I know what WG meant by 'sniff' test and I also knew that she didn't mean the father should do that physically. WG has more intelligence then to suggest that. I also know yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis can literally be detected a room away.
    Pets Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I am glad I stayed out of this one, siting how some replies developed. I must say it should have been done more diplomatically towards WG. Are we not a team here? What must the new OP think of us?

I know what WG meant by 'sniff' test and I also knew that she didnt mean the father should do that physically. WG has more intelligence then to suggest that. I also know yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis can literally be detected a room away.
    Tickle, I do agree that we could have handled things better. This thread was the culmination of a lot of upsetting posts by WG recently. It was literally the straw that broke the camels back for many of us.

The only real way to diagnose a yeast infection is to see a doctor. You may be able to smell when a woman has an infection, or just bad BO or bathing habits (which can also lead to vaginal odor), but you cannot diagnose any infection by smell alone. A doctor can't do it, and a layperson definitely can't.

WG's advice was wrong, that's the bottom line. Sadly the OP didn't stick around long enough (from what I could see) to see the legitimate advice given.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 11, 2013, 03:24 PM
    If someone has a complaint about a response, please confine it to what is said in that particular thread.

"This thread was the culmination of a lot of upsetting posts by WG recently." I disagree. I haven't seen one.

"It was literally the straw that broke the camels back for many of us." PLEASE SPEAK FOR YOURSELF, or if you want safety in numbers, state who the others are.

This has turned catty, and I am ashamed of fellow women acting this way.

Plus, after the long battle over the possibly fake story of a young girl in India, I for one promised to keep side battles on the side, not in front of an OP, as we are now doing. I'm hoping this STOPS HERE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

From a distraught bi guy... [ 4 Answers ]

I am new to this website but from what I read I believe you do a great job in giving advice to those who need it. And I need your advice too on what follows: I'm an about 30-year-old guy who has his entire life questioned his sexual orientation. It's funny but I've come to the point where I...

Distraught. What Do I Do? [ 2 Answers ]

I really need help on how to get over someone here :( I was with my boyfriend for 8 months, and totally fell for him. It seemed perfect. When we split up, I was devastated, and went to my best friend for comfort. I cried on her shoulder and slept at her house many of times to try and take my mind...

Emotianally distraught over children and my thoughts! [ 12 Answers ]

I don't know where to start but here goes I am a 32 year old father of 4!2 mine 2 my wife's but are all 4 ours! I am lost when it comes to my oldest she is 7 and I find it hard to keep thoughts of her safety out of my head I love all for the same but for some reason she sticks out the most! It is...

How do I deal with this sexual encounter? I am distraught. [ 17 Answers ]

I have not told my friends or family about this. I went to one of my friends house over the weekend. I was there under the assumption that it was just going to be she and I there, a relatively "safe" environment, hanging out alone. We started drinking, and after a few strong drinks, I became...

View more questions Search