Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
    When and if to buy your child their first car.
    My son is 15. He's studying to get his learners permit. Next year, when he's 16, he can get his drivers license.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I got my drivers license a few days after I turned 16, and my parents already had a car for me. I paid for half. It cost $500, they put me on their insurance policy, and I paid the premium. It was a 1978 Mazda GLC, pumpkin orange. It didn't have power breaks, or power steering, and it had a manual choke. I loved that car.

My husband also got a car when he got his license.

Now, I don't believe in getting my children an expensive car, and I wouldn't pay for it all, I'd expect him to pay at least half, and it would be a beater, just like my Mazda.

Here's the question. Can I even get a car for a reasonable price that's safe to drive? Should I offer to pay for half? I don't want him to work right now, he needs to concentrate on school, but during the summer I have no problem with him getting a job, which should pay for the car, and insurance if I can find a car like my old Mazda, a car that's reliable, but not expensive.

Anyone else with teens, or children that are now adults? What did you do when they got their license? Am I doing too much, or too little?

I have to admit, part of this is selfish. If he gets his license, and a car, I don't have to drive him to school every day. :)

What are your thoughts? What did you do, or what are you planning to do when the time comes for your kids?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Of course I am not sure of the prices in Canada but I can say that around here, you're looking at a minimum of about $3,000 for a decent "beater". Now and then you can find something cheaper but the days of sub $1,000 cars that are reliable are long gone. The economy has turned to crap, obviously, the cost of new cars has gone up which raises the price of used cars. When I go to auction to buy cars, I can't even get a decent car at under $2,000 that doesn't need $500 to $1,000 worth of work... and you're talking my "discounted" dealer price. Like I said, in private sales you can sometimes get lucky and find a cheaper car that is decent... especially if you ask around, sometimes friends or family know someone who is looking for a quick and easy sale.

Now, when I started driving, I was given a car. I got lucky because my father was in the car business and was able to work a deal for me with a wholesaler that he knew and the price of the car was buried in other sales... so essentially I got it free. Back then though, the car only booked out at about $600 as a trade.

When my daughter starts driving in a few years, I may help her more if I am still in business. If I am still operating, I will get her a car from the auction and she will pay half for it. The only reason I would make her pay anything at all is the lesson factor. Make them pay for it, hopefully they will take better care of it. If I'm not still in business, I am not completely sure yet how I will handle her first car and will have to wait until the time comes.

Sorry I wasn't of much help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
    Stupid stupid computer! So mad.

I typed out this great post. Man it was good. Some of my best work.

Hit the wrong button and bam, it was gone. I know better! Type it out in MS, then copy and paste it to AMHD. But no, I don't follow my own advice!

I couldn't re-write it if I tried.

But no, you weren't no help at all. Your post helped a lot. Sadly, you'll never know how much because I lost my post!

I hate computers! :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 11, 2013, 04:27 AM
    I sold my last car, a very good Honda, to a friend for 1900. I had a roommate who bought a Geo from a private party for 800, and she drove it for thousands of miles. (Must have been the last Geo in existence though). Your son can do the work finding cars, and if any of them look good, you could pay for a diagnostic before buying.
    Of course insurance is a killer for drivers under 25, even when on a parent's policy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 05:00 AM
    I got my first car at 16, it was the family car and dad bought him a new one.

I bought each of my 4 older boys a car when they each turned 16. I bought lower price ones. Most of the older cars I bought recently (4 or 5 year ago) were OK, I had all of them looked over my mechanic
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 07:05 AM
    I'm going to differ with the others here. I am not of the mindset that one should buy their child a car, especially at 16. They are still children with little sense of responsibility. If they want a car they work for it and buy it on their own. Maybe mom and dad can help them buy it, but they need to earn that responsibility.

I got my first car when I was 20. Six months after I was married. Rae bought her first car at 17 with inheritance money.

Just because a child turns 16 doesn't mean they are entitled to a car. You are already living paycheck to paycheck taking and out pay day loans. In reality this is not something you can afford.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Another option is if you do buy him a car then buy him a real POS. It shouldn't even run. Then he can fix it up with his money. He will find out very quickly that it can get expensive to make mistakes as well as he will know what it takes to get the car where it is so abuse is out of the question. He will have pride in whatever he drives.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 06:50 PM
    Our younger son Jeremy had gotten EE Savings Bond from grandparents for several birthdays when he was small, and it nearly killed him, but he saved them over the years and let them grow past maturity. When he turned 16, he used them (total of $2000) to buy a ten-year-old brown Chevy. It was build like a tank, and we considered it his "training wheels." He had a good part-time job after school, so he paid for maintenance and insurance. After two years, his father bought a van from his parents (who were moving up to a slightly newer one) and sold his current car, a subcompact Ford, to Jeremy. We debated giving it to him, but it was a nice car in excellent condition. We decided he should pay for it and gave him a slight break on the book price.

We have always believed our kids should work and/or save up for the things they want. Both are very careful with their money and spending now as they have gotten older and independent of us.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2013, 07:12 PM
    Do your best to obtain a vehicle that includes as many of the latest safety features (eg airbags, stability control etc) as possible. That is the real bottom line in the equation. And if you can make him put forth some effort to help finance the deal, even if it taking on certain household chores or responsibilities and sticking to it, it will be an advantage to you and him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

I need advice on how to haggle with a car dealer. I am looking to buy a new car... [ 4 Answers ]

I need advice on how to haggle with a car dealer. I am looking to buy a new car and I would like some hints/pointers on how to get the best deal possible. Please help!

Can my child support be lowered if the father wants to buy me a new car? [ 26 Answers ]

I'm the primary parent of our 3 year old. The father wants to purchase and make the payments on a new car for me. Can my child support be lowered? Do the child support laws state anything as including this as part of my child support?

View more questions Search