Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DannyBearMN Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Can a non profit spend money to benefit board members, i.e. meals, retreats?
    I'm on the board of a very small non-profit and they sometimes spend money on lunch during meetings, weekend retreats with massage therapists, food, rented cars, etc. There is also money spent on gifts for non board members, flowers for a funeral of a friend of the organization, etc. I don't approve but I've been shut down by the board. Maybe illegal but to me it's also immoral.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 11:17 AM
    Not illegal at all, as long as the spend is related to board business. It is quite common for lunch, refreshments, etc to be provided at board meetings. If the meeting is at a hotel or conference center the organization would cover exoenses of the meeting room, projector etc. However massage therapy seems like a bit of a stretch - spending money on outside services is not unusual, but should be tied in some way to furthering the business of the organization. For example the organization mught hire a consultant to do team building exercises for the board. I don't understand the idea of paying for rental cars - the cost of transportation by board members to get to meetings should be covered by the board member and is then a deductible charitable expense. Nothing wrong with sending flowers as condolences.

None of this seems immoral to me at all, but I would suggest that the board should have an open discussion regarding poilicies for perks not directly related to board meetings, like massages. It should also be clear to board members that there is an expectation that the magnitude of their financial contribution to the organization each year should factor in the cost of meetings and associated perks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
    I some ways it's all part of PR, and PR is part of fund raising, especially if board members are rich, influential, and have rich friends. It's why so many fund raisers are elegant and extravagant - spend more to make more. I don't like it either, but accept it. Give a good look to the funds raised vs the amount spent on such frivolous items.

And you have to coddle many board members, who aren't being paid, and may be on several boards, and the meetings are usually boring to say the least.

Now there is also the overall spending of the non-profit, and how many 'direct dollars' to the actual cause there are relative to income. That's really the most important number. Leather office chairs? Bloated salaries? Does your n.p.'s spending seem reasonable?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 10, 2013, 05:35 PM
    What do the by-laws say about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't want to spend money any more [ 5 Answers ]

My family income is quite high, yet there never seems to be enough money left over, our retirement fund is the only account that we seem to be able to keep growing, where as everything else seems to fall to the way side. Between our grocery bills and our utilities there seems to be nothing left...

Board members [ 2 Answers ]

Are board members required to live on the property

Please ask questions on the board, not to members via PM. [ 1 Answers ]

Please ask your questions here on the public boards rather than Private Messaging individual members. We have numerous knowledgible members and experts online at various times, so posting your question(s) on the forum assures you that someone will see it faster than sending to someone via PM. ...

Please ask questions on the board, not to members via PM. [ 0 Answers ]

Please ask your questions here on the public boards rather than Private Messaging individual members. We have many knowledgeable, including a few top notch, members online at various times, so posting it on the forum assures you that someone will see it faster than sending to someone via PM. ...

View more questions Search