Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlHughes Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 09:08 AM
    Lump on my lower jaw
    Ever have a lump on your lower jaw?
    I got one, just came up about 3 days ago, it hurts bad. Moxicillin and Tylenol 3 for the last 3 days, but movable lump still on jawbone, is moveable, and feels soft to the touch, but hurts when touched.
    Can't afford ER bill... this sux.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:31 AM
    You may need a dentist, not an ER. Where EXACTLY on your lower jaw, and how big is it? And what do you see in your mouth around the gum over that spot, with a flashlight and mirror?

Oct 10, 2013, 09:36 AM
    The lump is on my left side, just in front of the "V" in my neck. Feels like it's right on the rear curve of my jawbone. No teeth in that spot. Nothing noticeable on the inside of my mouth in that area. They've been removed years ago. Lump is about the size of an almond. Soft, and painfull to the touch, but it moves around. Taking Moxicillin 500mg and Tylenol 3 for past 3 days... swelling went down a lot, now I can feel the lump move around on my jaw.
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 09:48 AM
    You do have lymph glands under both sides of the jaw, and one could swollen from fighting off infection. The antibiotic seems to be working, but it might be coincidence. So it needs to be seen. How did you get the drugs? Have ALL your teeth been removed? Have you looked in your mouth for redness, any signs of infection?

Oct 10, 2013, 09:50 AM
    My wife's insurance deductible is paid for this year. I have no health insurance, and her family doctor agreed to dispense these antibiotics/pain meds to help me out. And they have... to some extent. I plan on going to the DR. if, after the meds, the pain and swelling persist. We can't afford the ER bill right now. Wife just had a mild stroke, and one of our dog's 13 teeth removed. They were killing him slowly. We're tapped out right now. Only 4th day of taking meds. Swelling down significantly, hopefully, this will improve, but I've been told to have it seen about, if the pain and swelling persist, after the meds are all gone.
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 10:00 AM
    And you have looked in your mouth, especially at the bottom of the gum line, and found nothing unusual, or you would have said so... yet I keep asking, because you don't answer, and I won't give up.

Oct 10, 2013, 10:05 AM
    I see nothing unusual in that area on the inside of my mouth. It does not hurt when I bite down either. Only painful to the touch. Heating pad helps with pain. The back teeth on that side have been removed years ago. No teeth above the affected area now.
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 10:19 AM
    OK, here are the Mayo Clinic's list of most common reasons for a swollen node under the jaw or in the neck:
    Ear infections
    HIV infection
    Infected tooth
    Mononucleosis
    Skin infections
    Strep throat

But... Just because you had all your teeth out (which you haven't actually said) doesn't mean an infection didn't get into the bone. And if you didn't have all of them out, being stubborn about the location of the node in relation to any teeth left, or implants, or crowns, is self defeating. So I now officially give up.

Oct 10, 2013, 10:21 AM
    With that attitude... I wouldn't let you work on my DOG!
    current pert

Oct 10, 2013, 11:37 AM
    And I wouldn't let you describe an old guy in a coma.

You want bedside manner, but don't want to shell out for the blankety blank family plan, or an individual plan, probably cheaper if you have no covered children. So you get what you get for FREE. I am so glad I wasted my time. Please let us all know that I was wrong. I'll send your dog a gift.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharp pain in my lower jaw when I close my mouth after wisdom teeth removal? [ 1 Answers ]

So I got my wisdom teeth pulled 4 days ago. The stitches on the lower right side came out after 3 days and now whenever I close my jaw I get a sharp pain back there almost like a pinching feeling. Is this bad and is there something I should do or just wait it out?

Painful lump next to ear on jaw [ 11 Answers ]

This lump is beginning to be painful and is located in front of my ear over the hinge for my left jaw. I have noticed that it extends into the muscles at the back of my throat. Could this be stress related, I lost my husband a month ago and have been going through a terrible time. Any help...

Lump under throat,jaw and arm pit [ 1 Answers ]

I believe I have a cold sore on my lip but it doesn't hurt at all. Now, I have a lump under my chin, more closer to my throat, it has a very light tender pain to it, it feels kind of like a in ground big pimple. Last year I also got a lump, but that time it was under my left side of the jaw. I...

Lower jaw too far back. [ 1 Answers ]

My lower jaw is too far back and I am going to get braces, they are giving me two options either have surgery and get my jaw broke or get something on my teeth that slowly fix my jaw. Do you have to get your jaw wired shut to realign it?

View more questions Search