Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 9, 2013, 07:51 AM
    Number of references?
    I’m really out of touch because I’ve been in the same job for eight years. Can I get some help, please?

I’m only seeking part-time receptionist work to supplement my income. I have an interview scheduled for Saturday and I’d like to provide references.

I only have two—would it be okay to only give two or should I include a third? The third would have to be a personal reference. I don’t have a third person (professionally) that I’m comfortable asking, therefore explaining, that I have to get a second job.

Thoughts?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 9, 2013, 08:21 AM
    You ONLY need to give references on demand and not at the interview process.
    Survivor

Oct 9, 2013, 08:36 AM
    Yes, but I'd like to be prepared should they ask. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 9, 2013, 08:36 AM
    Take with you to the interview a neatly typed up list of your choice of references (two or three) with contact information that you can hand over if asked. This is a sheet of paper separate from your resume.

Your resume should be NOT have reference name (boss, supervisor, coworker) information connected to where you've worked or listed at the bottom of the resume. Legally and ethically, references can be contacted by an interviewer only when you have supplied that information.
    Survivor

Oct 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Thank you both.

They already have my resume and cover letter, hence the interview on Saturday. ;)

I may not be making myself clear. I was just curious if anyone knew if it was technically better to provide "just" two professional references, or provide three, if one is a personal reference.

Since I'm job-hunting, I thought it best to have these things ready in case they are requested of me.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

References [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted for a job interview that I really want, and they want 3 professional references. Although I only have two professional references and one character reference. For whatever reason I cannot get in contact with past employers. Will I look unprepared if I give them the references I...

References [ 1 Answers ]

Can my employer withhold references if I'm due a disaplinary?

Limited in references [ 1 Answers ]

What would one do if they have limited references? I have not kept in contact with previous employments or contacts that I had for references. I am eager to look for new work but not the same work I keep going back to do, which is reception. I am soooooooooooooo bored of this and want to make a...

Employment References [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer in the state of Ohio give an employee a bad reference? Is there anyway to find out if they are?

View more questions Search