Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnewton123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Absolute assignment form from the funeral home
    I am the POA and the beneficiery of my Grandmother's small life insurance policy. She is presenlty in a Nursing Home and I am trying to sign her up for Medicaid in the State of Michigan. She was denied because of her $5,000.00 policy. I have contacted her Western & Southern agent and he sent me a Absolute Assignment form and I met with the Funeral Home director and we filled out the form and I returned it. The agent then contacted me stating this was the incorrect form and he would send the correct one. I received the Irrevocable Funeral home Assignment for and once met with the funderal home director and completed the form and returned it. I was then contacted by the agent and instructed that the state of Michigan doesn't accept Western & Southern's forms and that the funeral home would have the form that we needed. I contacted the Funeral Home (which is a family owned business since 1863) which knew nothing about this. The Funeral Home instructed me to contact Western & Southern headquarters, which I did and got the same answer. I also contacted the Probate Court and asked them about a Form and she knew nothing. I have been searching the internet for a form that the State of Michigan would accept. I am running out of time to retro file for my Grandmother's Medicaid. I need some help and need it fast.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2013, 02:19 PM
    Durable POA, Financial POA? Why a funeral home involvement if she is in a nursing home and you are trying Medicaid. Why probate, she is still alive. How old is Grandmom? Are you trying to get cash out of the policy?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
    You are trying to prepay funeral costs by assigning her life insurance policy to that particular funeral home, so the policy value won't be counted as a asset for the purpose of determining Medicaid eligibility- is that the situation? And the Medicaid is needed to pay for the nursing home?
    The only suggestion I can think of is to speak with her nursing home administrators and get the name of the their contact with Medicaid at the state level, or possibly talk to the office of your elected state representative for assistance. Possibly an Office on Aging organization in your area or a similar group could help get you to the right person. Or maybe consider contacting another funeral home.
    It is to the funeral home's benefit to help get this right and it should not be a mystery to them as I believe this is a common procedure in most states.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I have funeral visitation in my own home, in Ontario? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ontario. Can I have funeral visitation in my own home, rather than a funeral home? Just like in the old days?

Funeral Assignment [ 2 Answers ]

I just couldn't find exact category for my question. I'm beneficiary for someone in a Nursing home. She is dying. I have been asked by hospice to make some arrangements. The Insurance company has a very small policy for her but it will take a few weeks to Send me the check, they said. They...

Funeral Home [ 8 Answers ]

Can Funeral Homes in NY request autopsies on a dead person? I was told that and I am verifying. I thought only Coroner's or Medical Examiners could do it. Thanks

View more questions Search