Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    piperfan28 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2005, 11:31 AM
    Day after spaying
    Hey all,

My kitten Mini Me is being spayed today and I get her back tomorrow. Is there any special precautions and actions I should take when she returns home tomorrow? I love her and I'm a little nervous about the procedure. She also has a heart murmur. Any suggestions would be helpful.

-From a hopeless new cat owner-
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Thank you for being a responsible pet owner. A good vet will give you instructions answering all you questions. If not, ask before leaving. If the vet is too busy to answer questions, find another.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Feb 9, 2005, 07:23 PM
    Hello,

I'm not familiar with the procedures your vet uses but, at our clinic, the after care is pretty easy.

Cats are usually very good at keeping themselves quiet but we always tell owners to keep them inside (if they go out) for at least 5 days. Try to keep them from jumping around as much as possible.

Our surgery patients have sutures that need to be removed 8 to 10 days after the surgery. Some vets use staples.

Keep an eye on the suture area. Make sure it stays clean and dry. If your cat starts to chew or lick excessively, you may have to get some bitter spray from your vet to stop her from bothering it.

Sometimes, fluid can build up between the skin and the muscle wall (called a seroma). If the seroma becomes larger than a walnut, you should have it drained to prevent infection.

I hope all goes well with your cat's surgery.

Regards,
    piperfan28 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Thanks so much. I'm a newbie cat owner. The operation went well and she'll be home this afternoon. I'll keep a close eye on her and keep my other rowdy kitten away from her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search