Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mac47 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Why is the Voltage Reading at 240 Volt Outlet Reading 590 Volts?
    I just purchased at home built in 1922. It is obvious there has been some modifications to the electrical system. The only permitted change was upgrading it to a 200 Amp service. In trying to figure out the circuits I noted there were 4-240Volt breakers, three a 20 Amps and one at 30 Amps. All four were marked as "AC." There is only one (1) 240 Volt window unit, so in looking around I found three old 240 Volt outlets which are not being used. I first tested them with a voltage probe - they were hot, so I used my multimeter and it reads about 590 Volts, or when I measure one side it reads about 147.5 volts or so.

This has me stumped! Oh yes, I checked a 110 volt circuit and it reads about 147.5 volts. The 590 is 4 times the 147.5. Why am I getting that reading? Am I doing something wrong, is my meter nuts, or??
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 03:36 PM
    Either your meter is defective or you don't have it set up properly. Most likely the latter. Make sure you have the dial on ac voltage (probably has wavy line, not dashed line) and that you have leads plugged into the common and voltage ports.

Oct 7, 2013, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Either your meter is defective or you don't have it set up properly. Most likely the latter. Make sure you have the dial on ac voltage (probably has wavy line, not dashed line) and that you have leads plugged into the common and voltage ports.
    Thanks! I thought maybe my meter was nuts too. Fortunately it's almost impossible to set the meter up incorrectly - I did check, and I've got it right. Guess I'll drop by Lowe's and replace this old thing. Hey, got any of those left handed widgets laying around? Needed one yesterday! :-) Thanks again.

Oct 9, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Sorry, out of widgets at the moment but I do have a left handed monkey wrench. And it's a metric one too.

Oct 10, 2013, 03:34 AM
    Morning Harold,

Darn, no more widgets - guess the angle of the dangle will have to stay at 97.63 degrees...

Just an update - it was my meter. Replaced it and am now in the process of trying to figure out and map/diagram the wiring in this old place. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks, Patrick

Oct 10, 2013, 05:45 AM
    Hi Patrick,
    Good luck, look forward to hearing from you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2013, 07:07 AM
    You can convert the old AC recpticles to 120 volt outlets by a couple of short #12 wires wirenutted to any larger wires(#10?), you will need to identify each end and mark with white tape and place on the neutral bar.
    Knew the meter was bad as you didn't mention everything burning out. Plus I don't know when the last time I saw 590 volt wiring.
    If an analog meter, a resistor used as a shunt may have burned out.
    Also place on a Single Pole 20 Amp Breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am reading 120 volts at the outlet but when I plug any light in it will not light [ 1 Answers ]

Reading 120 voltage with a VOM on the wire going into the fixture. Have tried multiple lamps. When the lamp is plugged in and turned on the voltage drops to 0. Power is in an out building on a buried wire (not in the same building as the breaker) Was working recently, but stopped.

Outlet controlled by light switch is reading 79 volts why [ 7 Answers ]

I have a set of outlets that the top outlet is controlled by a light switch. They do not work. I get a reading of 79v at all the outlets and at the switch. The bottom outlets all work and read 120v. The breaker controls all of them. Any suggestions

How to change a 120 volt outlet to a 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240 volt, single phase, 3 wire, 10 amp, 60 hz battery charging system for a small electric car but have no 240 volt outlet. I do however have a 120 volt outlet. How can I change the 120 volt outlet to accommodate the 240 volts? I know I will have to get a new outlet, but I am asking about...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search