Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nykkyo Posts: 132, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 05:21 AM
    If first light from the BB
    Devolved to micro-waves, why didn't the light from the first galaxies devolve?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 05:55 AM
    Not sure what you mean by the word "devolve" with respect to light from galaxies, but we do see very significant red shifts from the earliest galaxies that we can observe - i.e. those that came into being just a few hundred million years after the Big Bang, showing that they are receedig from us (and we from them) at a rate approaching the speed of light, pretty much in agreement with Hubble's law.

Oct 7, 2013, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Not sure what you mean by the word "devolve" with respect to light from galaxies, but we do see very significant red shifts from the earliest galaxies that we can observe - i.e. those that came into being just a few hundred million years after the Big Bang, showing that they are receedig from us (and we from them) at a rate approaching the speed of light, pretty much in agreement with Hubble's law.
    Apparently light from the early galaxies had to travel through the same medium as the light from the BB.
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nykkyo View Post
    Apparently light from the early galaxies had to travel through the same medium as the light from the BB.
    What's your point? Recall that even the earliest galaxies didn't come into being until a billion years or so after the Big Bang. Issue of the BB regarding "transparenecy" or other "medium" issues have nothing to do with how we see those galaxies.

Oct 7, 2013, 06:23 AM
    What's your point? Recall that even the earliest galaxies didn't come into being until a billion years or so after the Big Bang. Issue of the BB regarding "transparenecy" or other "medium" issues have nothing to do with how we see those galaxies.
    Then light is operated on depending on its source even though different light beams share the same medium? As for Red-Shift, is there a device for which wave analysis can detect a shift in spectral lines below infra-red Also, shifting spectral line are detectable because the visible spectrum is semi-stable; otherwise, if the light frequency shifted down in then spectral line shift would not be detectable,
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Then light is operated on depending on its source even though different light beams share the same medium?
    The relative motion of the source (an ancient galaxy) compared to the obeserver (us) does indeed effect the light that we observe from that source. If the source is moving away we see the light shifted to longer wavelengths (red shift). We can detect that shift by looking for the wavelengths of well-known effects in stellar light spectrums, such as the position of hydrogen alpha lines. When we see these spectral lines shifted, we know the source was moving relative to us.

As for Red-Shift, is there a device for which wave analysis can detect a shift in spectral lines below infra-red.
    Not sure - but the equipment used for recording spectral lines may not work well for extremely long wavekengths. Why do you ask? The biggest spectral shift observed to date has a value of z=11.9 (as mentoined in previous posts: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/astron...ns-766185.html) - which means the observed wavelength is 1+Z = 12.9 times the intrinsic wavelength of the source. That moves light from the visible spectrum into the deep infrared. Given that the source of this light is from a mere 350 million years after the Big Bang it's not clear whether a source even older that that, and hence with a larger red shift, will be observed.

Also, shifting spectral line are detectable because the visible spectrum is semi-stable; otherwise, if the light frequency shifted down in then spectral line shift would not be detectable,
    Your statement is not very clear. There is indeed an assumption that the intrinsic spectrum of stars fropm 13 billion years ago is the same as star's today, if that's what you mean. So when we see that the spectrum of a star is shifted (for example we see its hydrogen alpha lines are shifted toward the infrared compared to the spectral lines of stars that are not moving away from us) we assume the shift is due to the relative velocity between the source and us (i.e. Doppler effect).

Nov 20, 2013, 04:49 AM
    Looking back at the singularity and estimating its distance is like LA and NY occupyig the same space and time. NYmigrates yo where it is today and seeing when we got in our car in I LA to travel to NY after arriving at NY. If "a" is the migration time and "b" is time to see LA then the duration of "a" and "b" existing is (a+b).

Nov 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
    If it takes light 14GYRs to reach us then the source had to have been at a distance of 14 GLYs away at the tme of emission. Assming the speed of recession is "c" then the age of the universe has to logically be > 28 GYRs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Put a bulb converter on light bulb for fan light and now the light doesn't work [ 1 Answers ]

I put a light bulb converter on a ceiling fan light to get more light and now it doesn't work. Fan works fine

Light switch will turn off under cabinet light, but won't turn light back on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all: I recently installed under cabinet lighting in my kitchen. I added a single pole switch to an existing GFCI outlet, and then wired said switch to a surface mounted receptacle on top of my cabinets. I wired everything up, and the lights work great. The problem: When I turn...

Braking light, TCS light on, ABS light on for 2003 Hyundai sonata V6 [ 1 Answers ]

The braking light, TCS light on, ABS light are always on. I got it checked in car garage and they told me it is the ABS module problem and need about 400 for a used one The code is SCAN ABS, TCS MODULE C2114 HECU MODULE Anyone got some idea on it? Thank you in advance!

ABS Light, SRS Light, Check Engine Light, Any other lights? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok. I am writing this because I have been stumped on this question for a long time. I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX COup. I have had about every single light on my dashboard come on at DIFFERENT TIMES... My ABS LIGHTS, SRS lights, Green Flashing Key lights ( immobilizer ), Check Engine,...

View more questions Search