Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Built in dishwater problem
    Speedball, or one of our great plumbing experts, help !

I just had a kitchen reno done and had them build in my portable GE dishwasher. It isn't a new one, but never a problem with it until now, and it won't drain. Any solutions guys ?

Tick
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 10:58 AM
    Did the drain for the dishwasher tie into a garbage disposal? If so, there is a good chance that the knockout plug in the garbage disposal did not get removed. Common mistake for uneducated installers. I would suggest calling the company that hooked up the dishwasher and have them check things out. If all is good with the drain connection, then you will most likely have to call an appliance repair person to fix the dishwasher itself. Im sure one of the other pros here may even be able to give a video link to the garbage disposal knockout plug I mention. Or just YouTube knockout plug for dishwasher on garbage disposal.
    Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Hi mygirl! Thanks for input, but no garbage disposal; contractor who did design and build for my reno, installed my dishwasher. Worked well the first time, but second time had this problem. Noticed that two black washers on inside of drop down door were disintegrating, so assumed the drain got plugged up. Also noticed some black debris in the water I pulled out.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 11:54 AM
    At this point, you will need an appliance repair man, as it sounds like the pump or plumbing in the actual dishwasher is at fault. I hate to be so blunt, but a general contractor (unless the plumber is the GC) has no right to hook up a dishwasher, or do anything in the home plumbing related. Oh, it happens all the time, contractors try to do every thing themselves, even when the don't have the license to do such work.

My solution. To late. Should have bought a new dishwasher for the remodel, and had a licensed PLUMBER hook it up. Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhh
    Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Here in Ontario, yes only licensed plumbers and electricians are allowed to do installations, sorry I didn't say that; contractor hires them, and they do the work
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 08:02 PM
    If it worked first time - and not second time - I would check the intake inside DW. It may be blocked by clear foil or some debris from the wash.

Question: Is ANY water being pumped out of the DW or only some ?

Back to you. Milo
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 02:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    If it worked first time - and not second time - I would check the intake inside DW. It may be blocked by clear foil or some debris from the wash.

Question: Is ANY water being pumped out of the DW or only some ?

Back to you. Milo
    Thanks milo, no water is being pumped out as far as I know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwater fills with water when I am not even using it. [ 2 Answers ]

The dishwater will back up with water and then overflow on the floor when I am not even using it.

Troy-built riding lawn mower cut off problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a troy-built 18.5 hp riding lawn mower w/cc that recently started cutting off if you engaged the cutting blade. I listened closely and as soon as the blade engagement safety switch clicked the engine would want to stop. I replaced the safety switch with a new one, this didn't fix the...

Troy Built 42" Riding mower Starting Problem [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Troy Boult riding mower. It will start but not stay running, it appears that there is oil in the gas. Can you help

Kenmore dishwater not cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr old Kenmore dishwasher (model 665.16879). Recently, it has not been cleaning well, I can hear a high buzzing sound when earlier I used to hear the "wash" sound. I suspect that something is obstructing the motor from running smoothly. Any ideas? PS: Recently, there was a lot of...

Dishwater grit [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My 3 month new GE dishwasher is leaving a white haze and brown grit all over my dishes and the inside of the dishwasher. It has a hard food disposal, bottom, middle, and top water sprayers, hot hot wash and rinse. I use Cascade clean rinse w/ shine shield (what little that does). I tried to...

View more questions Search