Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    algranville2000 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 12:54 AM
    High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation
    I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he left I began using the Net and couldn't believe it! Now bear in mind I had the best tech in the area install the high-speed. This guy measured everything. Very thorough. Many pieces of high-tech equipment.

When he was here he mentioned possible spyware on the system. He also suggested I get an external hard drive and transfer all my files into that. But... this is a big but, why would I have slower(much slower) response time AFTER high-speed cable was installed? The tech also changed out my USB cable to Ethernet. It takes about 30 seconds to bring up anything:email, websites, etc. Please Advise on this major problem. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2007, 06:04 AM
    There are various sites that will do benchmark testing of your broadband speed. Do a search on broadband speed tests to find them. This will show you the speed of your connection. If you do have spyware, that can significantly slow response times. Get an antispyware utilitiy to clean it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Fan No High Speed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a remote only Hampton Bay fan, everything works except the high speed, it worked last year.:confused:

High speed internet [ 11 Answers ]

I am pondering what kind of high speed internet to get for my computer. I am currently working with a dial up connection and would like to know what kind of high speed hook up I can use to my advantage. I am primarily using the connection for downloading music off Limewire. Love my music so give...

High Speed Dail-Up [ 8 Answers ]

The New York Times reported on BPL. Internet over the power lines on Oct17,2005. I have been told that the next big thing is high speed dial-up. What keeping the FCC from granting faster modem speeds? How fast can dial-up go? I have not been able to find any information on this subject. Thanks in...

Ceiling fan high speed [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled a ceiling fan from the basement. When it was down there all 3 speeds worked fine. Now that I've reinstalled it upstairs, it only runs on high speed. The are 4 wires from the fan, white black blue and green. Green is ground, blue is for the light, white neutral and black hot. 3...

High Speed Blower motor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Pulse 21 gas single zone forced air furnace. The blower motor is supposed to have 3 speeds. Right now everything works but when I turn on my AC the blower uses the same speed that it does for heat. Could there be something wrong or do I just need to rewire something?

View more questions Search