Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agarg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 11:53 PM
    L1 visa, filing tax returns for dependents, self
    I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2 visa.

I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return

1) Was my wife eligible to apply for SSN as we did not apply for one?
    2) Can I file the tax return as "Married Filing Jointly"? My wife does not have SSN as well as ITIN at the moment
    3) Does it require being physically present in order to apply for ITIN/SSN? As we are not in US and can only operate through email or postal service

Please suggest the status under which I can file my tax returns.

Also suggest how much difference in tax (approximate figure) will be there if I have to file as single. My approximate gross pay for the ~7 months period is ~$38k

Thanks in advance.

Ashish
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 29, 2007, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by agarg
    I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2 visa.

I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return

1) Was my wife eligible to apply for SSN as we did not apply for one?
    2) Can I file the tax return as "Married Filing Jointly"? My wife does not have SSN as well as ITIN at the moment
    3) Does it require being physically present in order to apply for ITIN/SSN? As we are not in US and can only operate through email or postal service

Please suggest the status under which I can file my tax returns.

Also suggest how much difference in tax (approximate figure) will be there if I have to file as single. My approximate gross pay for the ~7 months period is ~$38k

Thanks in advance.

Ashish

You are going to have to count those days very carefully because you are right around the 183 day mark. If you meet the Substantial Presence Test then you are going to have to file a dual status return, most likely. If you don't meet it, then you can file a 1040NR.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things about tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply for SSN...

Filing tax returns for 2 states - Please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I worked for 2 months in 2006 in IL. I was then employed by an employer in KS for 10 months and the employer paid KS taxes. I lived in IL during this time. How do I file this tax return? Does it matter that I've lived in IL while paying KS taxes? Thanks!

L1/L2 Filing tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on March 6th 2006 on a H-1 visa. On Sep 1st 2006 my wife joined from on a H-4B dependent visa. I am staying and working in New Jersey state since the day I came to US in 2006. I have never been to US in the year 2004 and 2005. On Oct 2006 my visa L-1 petition got approved...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

Filing tax returns online [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of filing my taxes this year with taxact.com. Has anyone used them and any good or bad comments about them. Thanks, jrpr

View more questions Search