Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dakota16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2013, 09:38 AM
    Renters rights in Texas structural damage to apt. no water damage
    My whole roof in my apt. came crashing down all at once not due to water damage living there only 4 months I have no renters ins. About 4,000 in damage apt. dragging it out what are my rights sad in Texas
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Hello d:

In a nutshell, if the apartment in uninhabitable, the landlord must put you up somewhere while he makes repairs. As far as your personal belongings, if the accident was his fault, and you sue him and win, he'll pay for your stuff. Otherwise, you have no recourse.

Having said what he's SUPPOSED to do, that doesn't mean he'll DO it. You might have to prod him a little. IS he refusing?

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2013, 12:46 PM
    The key here is what caused the roof to collapse. If the landlord had warning and new the roof was an issue and did not repair it, then he may be held responsible for your damages. But this will not be easy to prove. So other than providing you with a place to live while repairs are made, that would be all he is responsible for.

Your personal belongings should have been covered by renter's insurance. The fact that you neglected to purchase this protection is your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Damage and more, Valid reasons to break my lease in Texas? [ 3 Answers ]

We are leasing a house in the DFW area and the lease is set to expire at the end of August. We have had multiple issues that the leasing agency/maintenance have failed to address and we planned to move then. However about a week and a half ago we came home to water running out of the doors and...

Renters rights with fire damage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just moved into a ground floor apartment 9 days ago. The apartment directly above me has recently had a large fire. The entire apartment has been boarded up due to smoke damage. Soot from upstairs has covered my apartment and my family, which includes 2 children with asthma and an...

View more questions Search