Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iguanalei Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2013, 04:47 AM
    Original decree was that child support ends at 18. Do I still have to pay until 21?
    Our original divorce decree was that child support ended when our two girls turned 18. The support unit in NY State just stated that I was done paying according to the original decree, but the girls are in college and the mother insists that I still owe support until 21.

I know NY law was changed I believe in 2010 but my judgement was way before then. Am I caught up in a retroactive time tunnel?

NOT FAIR
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2013, 04:54 AM
    I believe the change referred to future awards. If the decree does not extend support while they are in college, and the NYS unit says you are done, then you are done. If the ex thinks you aren't, let her take you back to court. If she does, find the text of the law and the text of your decree and present it to the court.

Oct 9, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I believe the change referred to future awards. If the decree does not extend support while they are in college, and the NYS unit says you are done, then you are done. if the ex thinks you aren't, let her take you back to court. If she does, find the text of the law and the text of your decree and present it to the court.
    Thank you for the response, Seems logical but I cannot find anything pertaining to the Law which states weather it is in fact referring to Future awards, Waiting for Ex , to take us back to court and will confer with my Attorney for clarification, Thank"s again, Being free would be a Godsend.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2013, 04:35 PM
    New changes do not effect prior court orders, it in basis is a matter of case law and I doubt you will find the exact wording in the statues.

But she can of course always go back to court and request modification under the new laws but you should just wait and see if she files anything

Oct 10, 2013, 05:23 AM
    Ah, Thank you Fr Chuck, The modification clause was what I was afraid of, so it may be up to the Judge to decide how it will ultimately go down. I can only hope, Responses were so much appreciated,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ny state child support ends at what age if after 18 the child is not in school? [ 6 Answers ]

Do you still have to pay child support if your child is no longer in school after the age of 18?

Does child support have to be paid if it says in the decree 18 and or graduation [ 4 Answers ]

Does child support still need to be paid if the divorce decree states 18 and or graduation?

Child Support and Divorce Decree [ 3 Answers ]

In my divorce decree, my ex and I were awarded joint legal custody with primary physical care and custody with me. My son has autism, and after the divorce I had another child. Due to my concern for my newborn, my son had violent tendencies, I asked his father if he could stay with him for a...

Claiming Child Support Payments Without Decree? [ 3 Answers ]

I made child support payments to my spouse in 2008 for 11 months before the divorce was finalized in December 2008. Is there anyway to claim or otherwise file these payments made to my spouse before the divorce decree?

Child Support Defined within Divorce Decree [ 4 Answers ]

New York State - I am hubby's second marriage -when his first wife divorced him -he ignorantly waived getting representation. He claims he had no means -and it is water under the bridge at this point -however - on the matter of child support - It is defined in the agreement that every year,...

View more questions Search