Overheating problem
    New thermostat and Rad cap and still ovrheatin
    jason1420 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2013, 07:53 PM
    Y is my car overheating
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2013, 08:56 PM
    ARE your fans coming on? That seems to be the most common problem my boyfriend runs across repairing cars.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 09:05 PM
    Well, it might help if we had some information such as year, make, model... what it's doing when it's over heating.

Anyway, common causes for over heating:

Low coolant
    Thermostat
    Fans
    Radiator
    Water Pump
    Head Gasket
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2013, 06:02 AM
    Engine Overheating

Most engine overheating problems are directly attributable to poor preventive maintenance or improper coolant filling procedures. Attention to detail makes a big difference. It's best to change coolant every 3 years with a 50/50 mixture of auto maker recommended antifreeze and distilled water. It's good practice to remove engine drain plugs during this process. To refill Hondas, it's important to open the bleeder bolt, add coolant until it comes out of the bleeder bolt, tighten the bleeder bolt, turn the heater control to high, turn the fan off, run the engine until the thermostatically controlled radiator fan comes on, add additional coolant until the radiator is full, and rinse out and refill the coolant reservoir. On all cars, it's important to purge air from the cooling system, since it can cause overheating or no heat in the system.

Today, it's important to only use the antifreeze recommended by the car's manufacturer. There are huge differences in the types of antifreeze and using the wrong one can have disastrous consequences. Don't take a chance and use the wrong antifreeze. Honda, for instance, recommends using an anti-freeze that doesn't contain silicates or borates. Silicates are abrasive and cause premature water pump bearing seal wear, which greatly shortens the life of the bearing. Once antifreeze gets into the bearing, it will not last long. Other manufacturers have differing requirements and it's not wise to experiment with the chemistry.

It's also important to use distilled water, because tap, well, and softened water can cause unforeseen problems. Tap and well water are loaded with minerals that can build-up and block radiator and heater cores. Minerals found in tap water tend to combine with coolant additives. When this happens, they form a chemical complex called “phosphate scale,” which coats the heat-transfer surfaces of radiators, heater cores, and heads, resulting in decreased heat-transfer efficiency. When this occurs, your vehicle will overheat and run much hotter than it was designed to. This scale can also lead to the destruction of water pump bearings. When this happens, the radiator or heater core must be removed and roded or replaced. Soft water is known to weaken solder joints and cause corrosion, due to salts in the water. Keep in mind that chemical reactions increase with temperature. With the high heat of modern engines, it doesn't take long for caustic steam and heat to corrode, overheat, and damage an aluminum block engine not properly maintained.

It's also important to regularly change radiator and heater hoses. Most experts recommend changing all hoses every 4 to 7 years. Inspect hoses regularly for softness, bulges, and deterioration. Pay particular attention to the top radiator hose. Internal deterioration may be almost impossible to detect. Therefore, don't be "penny wise and pound foolish" and try pushing things too far. Many aluminum heads and valve trains have had to be replaced, due to hose failure. The repair bill can easily be $2,300 or more. All it takes is allowing an aluminum head engine to overheat once. Never drive a car that is overheating--have it towed.

Common causes of overheating:

1. Insufficient coolant and/or air in the system. When the system is cool, check the radiator and overflow tank coolant level. If the level is low, start looking for leaks. Check for deteriorated or damaged radiator and heater hoses; e.g. cracks, pin holes, and clamps that leak under pressure. Also, look for bulges and collapsed hoses. Attach a cooling system pressure tester to the radiator, if necessary, to help locate leaks. Pressurize the system to 16 psi. Learn how to properly purge your cooling system of air--this can be crucial in some vehicles. On many Hondas, for instance, fill the radiator with coolant, until it comes out of the opened bleeder bolt. It's important to follow the exact procedure for draining and filling the cooling system in the Owner's Manual--they do vary and it's very important. Failure to do so can result in a warped head, blown head gasket, and the engine seriously overheating.

2. Air flow problems--leaves, bugs, dirt, feathers, or plastic bags blocking the flow of air through the radiator. Gently clean the radiator with a garden hose.

3. Radiator fan not operating properly--check fuses; Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Switch, not the ECT Sensor; and radiator fan relay. The cooling fan not operating properly is one of the most common reasons engines overheat. If the coolant is low and/or there's air in the system, the ECT Switch may not turn the radiator fan on.

4. Radiator shroud does not seal tightly enough for the fan to draw air through the radiator. This can cause the engine to overheat, while the vehicle is stopped.

5. Faulty radiator cap--doesn't maintain proper pressure or one or more valves are bad. Test cap relief pressure with a radiator cap tester (KD 3700 or Stant 12270). On non-expansion tank systems, which are most systems besides Ford's, there are two valves inside the cap that can fail. One allows hot coolant to flow into the overflow tank, the other allows coolant to flow from the overflow tank to the radiator, as the engine cools. If the coolant can't flow back into the engine, there won't be enough coolant and the engine can overheat. It's best to use a high quality, preferably OEM, cap.

6. Faulty thermostat--sticking closed. Improperly installed thermostats are one of the leading causes of Hondas overheating.

7. Radiator core blocked--mineral build-up (phosphate scale) and corrosion are the most common causes. This will require replacing the radiator.

8. Inoperative water pump--pinch the top radiator hose closed with your hand, while the engine is idling, then release it. You should be able to feel a surge of coolant, if the pump is working properly. Change the water pump every time you change the timing belt.

9. Improper grade of engine oil--higher viscosity oil generates more internal friction and heat. Synthetic engine oils have higher coefficients of heat than conventional oils, which allows bearings and engines to run cooler--use them.

In an emergency, set the heater to maximum heat, blower to high, and open the windows. The heater will act as another radiator and help lower the engine temperature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating problem in 1992 Dodge B250 van [ 5 Answers ]

I have a van that still has an overheating problem though it has been to the shop. The places that did the repairs replaced one of the heater hoses and the bypass hose which fixed the initial problem of overheating and leaking coolant. The leaking has not occurred since then. However, the...

Ford f250 diesel 6.0 overheating problem [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2005 ford super duty f250 6.0 turbo diesel I have an overheating problem while towing even when I am towing lite loads like our small boat, Usually it runs in the normal range during day to day driving, but the other day it was 104 here and it started to get a bit hot did not over heat...

Mercury 50hp 2 stroke waterpump or overheating problem [ 1 Answers ]

50Hp Mecury 2Stroke outboard after six months back in the water. After driving for 10 min an alarm goes off. Thewater outlet was running, but the top part of engine was really a lot hotter than the botoom part. Wait 20 min tilt the engine while runnig a couple of times and could feel the outlet...

Overheating problem on a 1997 Chevrolet Malibu [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Chevrolet Malibu with a V6 231 engine . It has an overheating problem. The coolant and coolant thermostat have been replaced. The electric cooling fan does not turn on when the engine starts to reach its normal operating temperature. I have to turn on the air conditioning so that the...

Honda Civic overheating problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello guys.I have changed the engine on my car,and after this the new engine overheats(when I puted the new engine I took all the parts off and cleaned and substituted all the things).So,it was overheating and overheating,and the ventilator didn't switch on,I tried it directly with a battery,and it...

View more questions Search