Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarlesCharwin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2013, 01:25 PM
    Combating Desertification
    I am doing a science project trying to figure out which types of plants retain the most moisture in soil, as an attempt to combat desertification.

A garden expert suggested different plants for me to use, based on the fact that they use little water and provide a lot of shade. But, he suggested to me for my setup, to use grow lights, accompanied by an under-plant heating pad, rather than a heating/grow light.

Now that I think about it, don't his choices for plants seem moot? What is the point of using plants that create a lot shade, if the heat is coming from under the plant, rather than rays from above it?

The plants I am using are Bermuda Grass, Evening Primrose, and Bergenia (winterglow)
    I am also aiming to maintain a heat of about 80-90 degrees F
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Wouldn't you use an above-ground heating source (i.e. like the sun)?

Which plants would you use then?
    DarlesCharwin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Well the problem is, I am trying to mimic African climate. I do not live in Africa, so I cannot use the sun as a heating source.

The plants I am using are Bermuda Grass, Evening Primrose, and Bergenia (winterglow)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlesCharwin View Post
    Well the problem is, I am trying to mimic African climate. I do not live in Africa, so I cannot use the sun as a heating source.
    What I meant was, use an above-the-surface (not underground) heating source (that's LIKE the sun).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search