Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skifreeq1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2013, 05:46 AM
    Craftsman dys4500 won't stay running
    Skifreeq1 — New Member
    Sep 28, 2013 04:59 PM
    Hey people. Got a craftsman 917.28826 24 horse b&s intek motor. Just stopped running last night. Pulling the plugs, wet with gas. Checked for spark, had good spark. Plenty of fuel exiting the fuel line into the inlet for the carb. If I dump a little gas in the carg it runs great till that's gone. Took a screwdriver and tapped the electrical device attached to the carbs float bowl cover, tried to start and it ran for a couple of seconds. Took carb off and inspected the float. Everything was spotless free of dirt and moving as it should. Any visible orifaces ( little holes) looked good. Could it be that electrical thing attached to the carb. Can that be jumped out to see if it's the problem. Any help for this novice would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 1, 2013, 05:47 AM
    Follow up to: dys4500 won't stay running
    A little follow up. Tried jumping what I believe to be the electric fuel shut off and blew the inline 20 amp fuse. So I guess you can't jump that out, at least how I did it. I just can't believe from reading a ton of posts regarding similar issues where people go and replace the carb. How the heck does a carb work perfectly one second and the next it's bad. Don't believe it and half the time after being replaced it doesn't solve the problem. Don't really want to be aparts changer rather troubleshoot it appropriately.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Doesn't take much in the carbs now days.
    I soak them over night , works most of the time.
    Might take the fuel solenoid out cut the tip off and put it back in.

Oct 1, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Doesn't take much in the carbs now days.
    I soak them over night , works most of the time.
    might take the fuel solenoid out cut the tip off and put it back in.
    Thanks for the reply. Unscrew solenoid from the float bowl and cut the tip off. What does this thing do. Also not sure if you saw my previous post describing the whole problem.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 09:00 PM
    Hi,
    I would say you have hit upon your problem. That is the anti-backfire solenoid and to seals off the fuel flow when it does not have 12V DC on it. I would check for voltage first, first at the solenoid, and if there is none then at the key switch to see if the problems are at those locations. Those are cheaper places to look first.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 1, 2013, 09:03 PM
    Hi,
    Cutting the tip off will subject your valve train to failure if the engine is not throttled down for a few seconds prior to shut down.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 3, 2013, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Cutting the tip off will subject your valve train to failure if the engine is not throttled down for a few seconds prior to shut down.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Hey Clarke.
    Thank you very much for the reply. I will try what you said and get back as soon as possible.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2013, 08:03 PM
    Not true

Oct 5, 2013, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skifreeq1 View Post
    Hey Clarke.
    Thank you very much for the reply. I will try what you said and get back as soon as possible.
    Hello. Back again. Definitely have voltage(13), to be exact at the solenoid. So, either the solenoid is bad and this is my problem, or its not bad and its something else. I can't imagine it being something else at this point because as I said it runs great if you dump some fuel down the carb. Can throttle up and engage the blades till it runs out the fuel I dumped down the carb. I guess I could cut the tip off as one member suggested and if it runs that must be the problem. Then just go get a new one and install it. How can I be absolutely sure the solenoid is it. I understand there are no absolutes in life besides death and our ever increasing taxes. Looking for to your reply. Thanks a lot again .
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2013, 12:37 PM
    I've been running mine for four years without one .I work on newer mowers every day some have it some don't .

Oct 8, 2013, 05:11 PM
    I've been running mine for four years without one .I work on newer mowers every day some have it some don't .
    Well it appears that the fuel shut solenoid wasn't it. Took off the white tip and reinstalled everything and still it didn't start. Once again, if I dump fuel down the carb the thing runs great till its out if the fuel I just dumped into it. Anyway to tell if the float is sticking for some reason. Also with the fuel line off the carb, what kind of flow should I expect out of the hose into the carb when cracking it over. I have what I would describe as a good trickle of fuel. Not a complete say 5/16 or 3/8 diameter flow off fuel but enough to fill the carb up. I would assume that once it starts up the fuel flow would increase. Also after the fuel filter the line goes into this circular thing attached to the valve cover which has an inlet and an outlet for the fuel line and another hose coming from the valve cover. Doesn't look like it can be taken apart and cleaned. I'm now at a loss of what to do next. I just don't want to have to call a service guy for this I really think I should be able to figure this out.

Oct 9, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Hello again. Took the tip off the fuel solenoid and reinstalled it. Didn't work. Again if I dump some fuel down the carb it runs fine. Got fuel dumping out of the fuel filter on the outlet side so the filter is not the issue. From there it flows into this circular black thing that has an inlet and an outlet and another hose going from the black thing to the valve cover. When I start it by dumping fuel into the carb I get a fairly good trickle out of the fuel line. The line size is either 3/8 or 5/16 and the flow from the line is not those sizes. Is that black thing a charcoal filter. Maybe it's clogged. At a loss of what to do now. I don't want to have to call a service guy. This is crazy.

Oct 9, 2013, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skifreeq1 View Post
    Hello again. Took the tip off the fuel solenoid and reinstalled it. Didn't work. Again if I dump some fuel down the carb it runs fine. Got fuel dumping out of the fuel filter on the outlet side so the filter is not the issue. From there it flows into this circular black thing that has an inlet and an outlet and another hose going from the black thing to the valve cover. When I start it by dumping fuel into the carb I get a fairly good trickle out of the fuel line. The line size is either 3/8 or 5/16 and the flow from the line is not those sizes. Is that black thing a charcoal filter. Maybe it's clogged. At a loss of what to do now. I don't want to have to call a service guy. This is crazy.
    Sorry about the duplicate replies. Didn't see the one I wrote up yesterday so I tried to duplicate it. Either one should explain where I'm at with this mess.

Oct 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Hi,
    The black thing is the fuel pump and you should get a pulse of fuel from it when operating. Sounds as if something is preventing fuel from entering the float bowl, which means inlet needle(hooks to float and is above it) and something above it.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Oct 16, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Hi,
    The black thing is the fuel pump and you should get a pulse of fuel from it when operating. Sounds as if something is preventing fuel from entering the float bowl, which means inlet needle(hooks to float and is above it) and something above it.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Hey. First, thanks for your knowledge. Second, I found a crack in the vacuum line running from the fuel pump to the valve cover. Wrapped it some electrical tape and it started up and ran but only with the choke on. When I say it ran it was running at full throttle pretty good, go to throttle down it would start to stall and I would have to mess with the choke and throttle to keep it running. Intermittent backfiring at times. It wasn't like kaaablam backfire but more of that intermittent burp while running at full throttle. Going to check for vacuum leaks around intake and areas I was troubleshooting , any other guesses.

Oct 17, 2013, 10:49 AM
    Hi,
    This is likely your engines parts manual:
    http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...ryAVJ1DajI.pdf
    And item #918 is the vacuum hose, part #694000. Would be wise to replace it rather than tape it; I doubt anyone but distributors stock it so it is an order-as-needed item.
    It is likey that it is running intermittently rich and lean to cause that running situation.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS A new fuel filter cannot hurt.

Oct 17, 2013, 03:34 PM
    Hi,
    This is likely your engines parts manual:
    http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocum...ryAVJ1DajI.pdf
    And item #918 is the vacuum hose, part #694000. Would be wise to replace it rather than tape it; I doubt anyone but distributors stock it so it is an order-as-needed item.
    It is likey that it is running intermittently rich and lean to cause that running situation.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS A new fuel filter cannot hurt.
    Hello again. I'm going to replace that vacuum line. Thanks for the parts list. Also going to do a tune up including the fuel filter. Ran the engine for a while and it appears to have run through whatever was making not run smooth. Going to pull the carb and clean it to be sure. Hopefully it will still run when I'm done. If it doesn't I'm sure ill be back posting again. Everyone that replied were really helpful and I can't thank you all enough.

Oct 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
    Hi,
    If it is venture inside the carb you want to do(A little Yoda imitation) then maybe you would apprecaite the link to the outdoorpowerinfo.com link on part one of that tutorial(part two is linked at the bottom of it) at:
    Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs Intek V-twin Two-Barrel Nikki Carburetor - Part 1
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman weed eater won't stay running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old 25cc Craftsman POS weed eater. It starts on one pull and runs perfect for about 3 minutes, then boggs out. I have replaced fuel lines and filters, replaced the gas with a perfect mix, cleaned air filter, and stripped down and cleaned the carb fully. I am real close dumping it...

Craftsman Riding Mower won't stay running. [ 6 Answers ]

Craftsman Riding Mower 12.5hp B & S 917.25580 It will run great for 10 minutes, sometimes 20, sometimes 30. Sounds great when it is running. After replacing a slew of parts, it still dies like it is running out of gas. I can wait two minutes and it will start right up and run again for...

Craftsman Weedeater won't stay running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a convertible craftsman weedeater that has run like a champ - until now! I can get it to run briefly, a few minutes at most, then it dies and will not restart. After reading some similar posts I am beginning to suspect either an in tank filter or the inlet filter on the card Sound...

Craftsman 16.5 OHV won't stay running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 16.5 IC OHV that I just replaced the fuel cylenoid switch on because it wouldn't crank without pouring gas into carburetor. Once I changed that, it ran for about 10 minutes then shut off. I was able to jump it off with jumper cables a couple of times, and it kept shutting off. ...

Craftsman 20 HP B+S engine won't start and stay running [ 3 Answers ]

Craftsman Electric start mower (Model No. 917.270930) is 7 years old and has been maintain as per manufacturers specifications. The trouble is that the engine will start and run for about 30 to 40 seconds and then cut out. When I try to restart the engine is becomes flooded. This has been happening...

View more questions Search