Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AshNicole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2013, 11:07 PM
    How to petition the court for custody of my niece WITHOUT an attorney?
    My niece and her siblings were taking from there mother when she had got incarcerated and was placed in a home with someone that IS NOT family. I am willing to take her in but CPS is making it really difficult. Although I have done everything possible to get her. Her mother is unfit and is currently out but not trying to work on getting the kids (by the way it is 6 of them) back. Her dad is currently incarcerated and is willing to sign over his rights to me. I really don't have the funds to hire an attorney and legal aid doesn't have any attorneys available. So I was wondering what is it that I can do to reverse placement for just my niece? She was taken at 2 months and now she is 6 months. Is it too late to continue trying?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2013, 03:07 AM
    Your best bet is to work through CPS. Why are they blocking this? If you were to go to court, the court would require CPS be involved anyway. So if they are blocking it they will still be blocking.

I think you need to find out WHY CPS is making it difficult and see what you can do to ease the way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 30, 2013, 03:47 AM
    I agree with Scott you are going to have to work with CPS, even the courts will involve them. You need to go and see the case worker and ask how they can help you achieve this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I filed a petition in Juvenile Court for temporary custody of a minor child [ 0 Answers ]

I filed a petition in Juvenile court, I got responses from the respondents. How do I go about getting this case heard and getting a court date?

How do I petition the court over child custody without a lawyer? [ 2 Answers ]

My 13 year old daughter lives with her father and step mother in a verbally abusive and mentally straining environment. Dhs has been notified about the abuse and some physical abuse but will not help due to the lack permanent damage mentally or marks left less than 48 hours. My daughters behavior...

How important is having the Attorney's G-28 as part of my I-751 Petition? [ 0 Answers ]

Do I need to have the Lawyer's G-28 sent in with the Petition to Remove Conditions? Would I still be able to seek representation later on in case they send an RFE in case I choose to submit it without it? We were investigated by DHS this last June and at that time I was referred to an Attorney...

Can my court appointed attorney handle my child custody case? [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently moved from CO to AZ to take in my daughter, who has been living with her father for the past 10 years due to her and his two other children being taken into CPS custody. My court appointed lawyer was for the CPS case but I need a lawyer for custody. Can she also take care of that?...

I have custody of my great niece and her mother is threatening to sue to get custody [ 5 Answers ]

What does a parent have to prove to regain custody from a relative

View more questions Search