Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ali0600 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Flea repellent
    My dad put on my dog the flea repellant. She is a girl almost 7 yrs old she is a mix. After my dad put it on she started breathing rapidly. Can somebody tell me was wrong pleaseeee.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Was it a spray repellent ?

My guess, and it is only a guess, too much was sprayed around the dogs face and nose. Try spraying hair spray or bug repellent around a persons face and it can kill them, if too heavy.

Or the dog is having a allergic reaction to it.

Now without being there, this is just a guess at two possible issues
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 29, 2013, 10:56 PM
    What type of flea repellent was used? How much was used? How big is the dog?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 30, 2013, 03:03 AM
    I'm curious as to what exactly he used and the size of the dog also.
    She could be having a reaction to the chemical, better safe than sorry, get her to the vet.
    And make sure you tell them what was used on her so they know what chemical they are dealing with.

Sep 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
    She is a medium size dog. Its like a liquid gel that you apply in top of the hair going down the spine
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2013, 03:29 PM
    My dogs have allergic reactions to most brands. The vets always tell me that many of the over the counter ones actually have been known to kill pets. Vets usually swear by Frontline which was all that use to work for my dogs. This year that didn't even work. Then I found out there is a class action lawsuit against Frontline for false claims in advertising.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 30, 2013, 04:34 PM
    My vet switched us to Parastar this year. It is for fleas and ticks. Good results so far.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Sep 30, 2013, 05:46 PM
    One important thing to remember when buying flea products is to read the label carefully.
    Look for the FDA and EPA approvals. And consult a vet as to veterinary approved products.
    Many things on the shelf are very dangerous, causing seizures, neurologic problems, vomiting and on and on.
    Even though Frontline can be purchased at discount and pet product stores, sometimes it is cleverly packaged to look like the real thing, but is in fact counterfeit and made in another country and shipped to retailers where ever there is a market for it.
    You'll have to look for this information and it's not always easy to find.
    That's why many products can only be purchased at the vets office, because all is considered, the overall health of the pet, the degree of infestation, etc.
    It is always best to have a vet recommend and instruct people on the proper use of these products.
    Many think you can interchange products between species and adjust for size, this can be
    Dangerous and ineffective.

Sep 30, 2013, 07:15 PM
    Thanks for helping me out guys
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2013, 08:39 PM
    I enjoy living in the desert.. rarely are fleas and ticks found :)

In all honesty, you should never purchase over the counter flea medications.. As already said, these medications are either not strong enough or too strong. HARTz especially has produced MANY products, ranging from shampoos to flea & tick medications, that have caused pets to get sick and even die.

If you at least purchase through your vet, than you have something to fall back on if your pet has a bad reaction.

You need to be picky with what you put on your dogs body. Purchasing something that is "like" frontline or any of the brands from wal-mart is playing roulette. These chemicals are being absorbed into their skin.. think about it before you just buy something next time.. And if you're not sure, call your vet. I'm sure someone will talk to you and at least advise you what to do or not do and/or purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lizard repellent [ 5 Answers ]

How do I get rid of the lizards.

Which mosquitoes bug repellent works? [ 2 Answers ]

Going to Rome, Italy next month and I heard the mosquitoes would eat you alive at night. Can you tell me the best bug repellent on the market that works? Thanks in advance, Scotty13

Natural Flea Repellent Products-does anyone know? [ 12 Answers ]

The Safety of using Natural Flea Repellent Products - who is approving them?:mad: I am interested in educating myself in using safe NATURAL - "Alternative/Holistic" type of Flea Repellent products. But, I am wondering about their safety, i.e. the essential oils - ingredients - i.e. as per the...

Non-Toxic Flea repellent [ 13 Answers ]

Does anyone use a natural flea repellent for their dog? Does it work? How often do you use it?

View more questions Search