Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beplmi Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Accounting help, please.
    So I have an adjusted trial balance and I'm being asked to journalize closing entries

Where do I begin?
    Im clueless
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Close out your revenues and expenses to Income Summary.

Next close out Income Summary to Retained Earnings.

Finally close out drawings to the Capital account, or dividends to Retained Earnings.

Sep 30, 2013, 07:28 AM
    What does it look like though?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Revenues have a credit balance so debit the revenues accounts for their balance and credit Income Summary for the total amount of expenses.

Expenses have a debit balance so debit the expense accounts for their balance and debit Income Summary for the total amount of expenses.

Now get the difference between your credits and debits from your Income Summary account, which normally will be a debit, so debit your Income Summary and Credit Retained Earnings for the same amount.

Finally credit drawings and debit the Owners Capital account for the amount in the drawings account or credit dividends and debit retained earnings for the amount in the dividends account.

I have attached a completed worksheet from the trial balance to the post-closing balance sheet so you will see what one looks like.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Completed Worksheet Flower Landscaping.xls (31.5 KB, 111 views)

Oct 2, 2013, 06:27 AM
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Questions on financial accounting,cost and management accounting [ 3 Answers ]

I want different sets of questions on financial accounting,cost and management accounting for free. I am a teacher in this area

AP Journal Entires - accrual accounting and cash accounting [ 6 Answers ]

What are the journal entries for accrual accounting and cash accounting for an invoice and a payment?

List five differences between management accounting and cost accounting [ 1 Answers ]

Describe five differences between management accounting and cost accounting

View more questions Search