Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rob15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2013, 08:57 AM
    Well pump,furnace,sump pump
    Is it possible to connect hard wired devices to a portable generator avoiding a transfer switch or some other device connected to the main circuit breaker box?thanks in advance
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
    No, it is not possible.

If you are planning on using a generator, you must use a disconnect switch that totally disconnects the service panelboard and power company service lines.

If you do not do this, your generator will backfeed the power company lines and as transformers are hit, the voltage and amperage being applied by your generator will be raised to lethal levels and has the potential of killing power company technicians who may be working on what they believe to be dead circuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 0 Answers ]

We are digging out our old sump pump well to put in a larger tank and pump. We also dug back to the drain to replace the drainage pipe that is rusted through and put in a larger drain. Under the drain is a large empty tank that appears to be a drywell. Should this be replaced, removed, bypassed?

Sewer ejection pump for a sump pump? [ 7 Answers ]

My sump pump for sewage had water pumps installed instead of sewer ejection pumps... is that OK?

My sump pump won't turn off after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit [ 2 Answers ]

My sump pump is only 3 years old and it won't stop running after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit. What do I do to fix this? Is there a switch that I have to adjust? Please help.

How many holes should the basin of the ejector sump and how many for the sump pump? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two different wells, one holds my ejector pump and the other one holds the sump pump. I recently was getting water in my sub basement and it was coming from between the basin w/ejector pump and the concrete. Once we drilled a hole in the basin the water drains from the concrete into the...

Sump pump [ 5 Answers ]

We have a regularly use full bathroom in the basement that uses a sump pump to remove waste water. For the last 5 years, it has ran fine after every flush and shower use. Recently, for the last two months, (problem 1) the power of the sump pump doesn't sound like it use to, sounds like it is...

View more questions Search