Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoIllini Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2013, 06:17 AM
    State assistance scam
    History: Husband has 19 year old child/ never married mother. Mother then married another man, has this child and another child (with yet another man). Went to court 17 years ago, husband required to carry insurance - and has always done. Co pays/ deductibles were to be mother's responsibility. We thought that all paperwork regarding claims would go to mother... so we never saw. I just found out that mother never claimed anything on our insurance and she had medical card all these years. There is no way she qualified! Family of 4, $9500/ year child support from my husband, child support from another man, she works part time, husband full time.
    Do I turn her in... or let it go?
    I feel stupid for not realizing this.

I would think our insurance should have been primary... then medical card?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:24 AM
    Turn her in... they will investigate.. and if they find cause... then they will do something. If they find nothing... no harm done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 06:26 AM
    Why do you feel she did not qualify ? There can be fairly high earnings for a family of 4. to get benefits for child, one does not have to be at complete poverty.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:29 AM
    Hello G;
    Do I turn her in... or let it go?
    She's a bad lady, that's for sure. But, it didn't cost YOU anything? You had to supply insurance whether it was used or not. It also looks like your kids are almost grown up, and your contact with her is coming to an end.

So, no... Leave her alone... Besides that, your kids will NEVER forgive you.

Excon

Sep 27, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    why do you feel she did not qualify ? there can be fairly high earnings for a family of 4. to get benefits for child, one does not have to be at complete poverty.
    I could be wrong. But, with her husband's job... I would suspect he makes between 40-50k. She works part time... I believe in order to qualify for assistance. Also, her words to me: covered under a medical card since it was based off my income until he turned 19

It sounds like to me she only based this on her income.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:35 AM
    Hello again, G:
    I could be wrong. But, with her husband's job..
    You COULD be wrong, yet you're wondering if you should call the cops... Hmmmm.

Most times when we get questions like this, there's MORE to the story.. Often times, people don't want to turn in their family out of altruism. They want to do it for REVENGE.

Besides cheating the state, if she did, what did she DO to you?

Excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
    Your income has nothing to do with the child getting assistance, it is their household income. In some states, child support does not apply to the income requirements. Some years ago in GA, the level for a family of three was about 32,000, so not sure what a family of four would be.

Sep 27, 2013, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, G:
    You COULD be wrong, yet you're wondering if you should call the cops... Hmmmm.

Most times when we get questions like this, there's MORE to the story.. Often times, people don't want to turn in their family out of altruism. They want to do it for REVENGE.

Besides cheating the state, if she did, what did she DO to you?

excon
    I will admit... revenge sounds sweet. But, there was a time I needed assistance (I was a single mother before I met my now husband). BUT, I did not abuse the system. I used if for a few years to get on my feet and now I have my Bachelors Degree, good job, and nice life. I really get sick of people that sit at home or work just a few hours a week so that they can live off the system. Doesn't that make you mad that we work to earn a living for our family and others just don't have to work?

Sep 27, 2013, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Your income has nothing to do with the child getting assistance, it is their household income. In some states, child support does not apply to the income requirements. some years ago in GA, the level for a family of three was about 32,000, so not sure what a family of four would be.
    No, I know our income has no bearing. I am talking about her husband's full time job, her part time job. Again, I may be wrong. That is why I was here to get advice.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Hello again, G;
    Doesn't that make you mad that we work to earn a living for our family and others just don't have to work?
    If I looked around me, I see a LOTTA wrong, but I'm not here to fix the world. Ok, that's not true. I fix the world from the top down - not the bottom up.

Doing it by snitching on people is very very DISTASTEFUL to me.

Excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 06:52 AM
    Her husband's full time job has no bearing on this particular child, in some locations. You don't specify where you live, so we can only assume. As he is not the biological father, nor is he the adoptive father, it is possible that this child does qualify for benefits based on her income alone.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:53 AM
    By now it could be opening a can of worms. Did she lie about income? Why did welfare give her assistance rather than making her go after child support? At their age this could be thrown out as excon said. Welfare qualification for a mother with 3 would fall well under $50,000. A year.

Sep 27, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    By now it could be opening a can of worms. Did she lie about income? Why did welfare give her assistance rather than making her go after child support? At their age this could be thrown out as excon said. Welfare qualification for a mother with 3 would fall well under $50,000. a year.
    She was getting child support. My husband paid approx $9500/ year. She got child support from another man (I think she gets about $2500/ year from him). She only works 24 hours a week. Unsure how much she makes... minimum wage in Illinois is 8.25.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:58 AM
    She did not say the woman was married to a guy making $95, She said she receives child support and gets welfare medical assistance, which she feels should have been covered in the child support.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Read again N0Help...

Family of 4, $9500/ year child support from my husband, child support from another man, she works part time, husband full time
    In the original question there was no mention of child support, only medical coverage. That was what be based our answers on.

Child support was ordered, medical coverage was ordered. However, medicaid, if this is in the US, does not take into account child support or the income of the current spouse, i.e. step-parent. For the child it only takes into account the income, less child support, of the custodial parent.

Sep 27, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Ok. I thought it took into account spouse on child support. I had assistance but this was years ago... and I did not get child support nor had a spouse.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 07:14 AM
    The income her current husband provides is not taken into account for a child that is not his biologically or legally by adoption. They will only look at her income, not including child support for this child that your husband is legally responsible for.

Now, dependent on your location, it is possible that she committed fraud in that she should have reported to the primary insurance first using the medicaid insurance as a secondary. Again, this is all location specific. Since you haven't provided the location, we can only assume.

One also has to wonder why you are trying to be so vindictive. If you "turn her in," what do you stand to gain from this? What do you stand to lose?

Sep 27, 2013, 07:19 AM
    We are in Illinois.

I can honestly say... yes, I would like revenge. But, also... why did we provide all these years of insurance when she was never going to use it. I am angry. I am angry that someone can want to work only part time so she can get assistance. I am angry that my husband has to get up at 4:15 am for work while she sits at home.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 07:25 AM
    Original post says $95, child support from OPs husband. I don't see that OP says the mother is currently married in original post either.

Sep 27, 2013, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Original post says $95, child support from OPs husband. I don't see that OP says the mother is currently married in original post either.
    Sorry. Yes. She is married and her husband works full time. She has oldest child with my husb who paid $9500/ year in child support. Younger child she gets child support from ex husb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Campbell, Cohen (Attorneys at Law) is scam or not scam? [ 7 Answers ]

If anyone can tell my please answer me

I live in state with no state tax,but my husband work in state with state tax.How to [ 1 Answers ]

I live in state of WA and I do not have state tax,but my husband move for work in KY in October 2010 and that state has state tax.We are filing federal tax as married filing jointly but I do not know how to file for KY state tax. Please,help. Thank you

Owe state taxes in another state don't work in that state, can they garnish wages. [ 6 Answers ]

I owe back taxes in state of Maryland but work in virginia. Can Maryland garnish wages in viriginia.

Do you lose assistance from the state if you have a felon move in with you? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have a friend who is getting help from the state to pay for rent, food, medical, daycare, and whatever else. Well they have a friend who is on parole with a felony charge and is needing a place to live. We were wondering if the friend with the felony moves in with them if they will lose all...

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

View more questions Search