Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrbwn101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2013, 09:05 PM
    Singled out in Walmart parking lot, and targeted by employees, when no one else was.
    I am homeless, and have been parking a few nights per week in a Walmart parking lot, for more than 2 years. A couple nights ago, the jerk pulling in carts for the evening decided to be a bigger jerk, and brought out another store employee directly over to me, by-passing every other person staying in the lot, all of whom are living on the lot 24/7. Well, these two employees make a big show of coming directly to my car, no one else's. And then making an even bigger show of pulling my wiper blade all the way up, then slapping it back down hard to the window, to hold their garbage flyer claiming "No overnight parking, or you will be towed". Yet no one else on the lot was targeted. I was singled out. For no overnight parking, they sure have a whole lot of people staying/living on the lot, when I am only there a few nights a week, for only a few hours. So why are they allowing all these other people to live on the lot, and tell me through their flyer to get lost? This is discrimination. How do I file a suit against them for targeting me and no one else? Please help. Thank you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2013, 09:34 PM
    You need to call the corporate office and see what they say and take it from there. Not all wal marts allow overnight parking. Some may even be privately owned.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
    ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to N0help4u again.

I agree with Nohelp.

Just a question though, how come you can't just park somewhere else?
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 26, 2013, 10:20 PM
    You do realize that it can cost a lot of money to file a suit? Especially against a huge chain like Walmart.

Your best bet is to just leave and park somewhere else.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2013, 11:34 PM
    There is a list on the internet that says which Wal-Mart's allow homeless living. If you park up by the truckers that spend the night I would think it would not be as much of a problem. I have lists of places for homeless in some states to stay
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2013, 11:35 PM
    To can not sue to enforce a illegal act. So no law suit is allowed.

Next, most discrimanation is legal and allowed. Unless they were picking you because of sex, race, religion or a protected class, they may discriminate all the want. Most likely it was where you were parked, or something you did or say ( that you are not telling us)

Camping out in private parking lots when posted is not legal,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2013, 03:14 AM
    Maybe it was discriminatory. But the fact is you were breaking the law by trespassing. You really think you can sue on those grounds?
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 03:37 AM
    Depends on what wal marts he was at and WHY they singled him out.

Sep 27, 2013, 04:36 AM
    Clearly the WalMart the OP was at does not permit it.

I really doubt that the why will matter.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 27, 2013, 04:57 AM
    Guess what comes to my mind first: what do you use for a bathroom. And is where you go different from others. That's one of countless allowed discriminations. Discrimination by itself is not illegal; only a few kinds as defined by Civil Rights.

PS: I'm sorry you are homeless. But acting defiant in parking lots isn't going to help.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2013, 06:07 AM
    Then as OP asked why are so many others staying there and he was singled out if the why isn't the issue?

Sep 27, 2013, 07:03 AM
    It may be an issue for Walmart, but I doubt if it is an actionable one.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 27, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Maybe because he sleeps in his car and they are in RVs and campers with toilets...
    That's why I asked where he used one.
    If they saw him peeing behind his car or on the building, they had good reason to single him out.
    There are others, but why list them? Why list even that one? Because that one is most likely to happen.

Sep 27, 2013, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Maybe because he sleeps in his car and they are in RVs and campers with toilets...
    That's why I asked where he used one.
    If they saw him peeing behind his car or on the building, they had good reason to single him out.
    There are others, but why list them? Why list even that one? Because that one is most likely to happen.
    Clearly we do not know the story from Walmart's side. I can envision several reasons one homeless person might have been singled out from others. But I can't envision any reason that would be actionable through a law suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue walmart for not having camera in their parking lot [ 5 Answers ]

Lost my purse in the parking lot of walmart in there wasn't no cameras in the parking lot kane I sue

Are prior walmart employees able to get their w2s online before jan 23 [ 0 Answers ]

Is a prior employee of walmart able to get their w2s online before jan. 23

For prior employees when will Walmart W2 be mailed [ 2 Answers ]

Walmart W2s when will they be mailed

For prior employees when will Walmart W2 be mailed [ 0 Answers ]

Walmart W2s when will they be mailed

View more questions Search