Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandybear92 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 07:14 PM
    Is it wrong to be a Christan and not go to church?
    Some of my friends are christans and they go to church even if they're not catholic. I'm a Christan and my whole family is. Like we celebrate Christmas and Easter and all those Christan celebrations but I just don't go to church. My parents nev3r take me to church. My friends all tell me its better if I do because I should go to my own religious home that is my religion and if I go to church I will have a better chance to go to heaven? Is that true? They said if I go to church I will become closer with god and its also good because you pray (I don't pray) and its better. I don't know if it is better or anything.

I still believe in god and am a Christan and love god more than anything. But I don't go to church and I don't pray, is this wrong?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Why do you consider yourself a Christian? Because you celebrate Christian holidays?

(Catholics are Christian -- in fact, they were the first Christians.)

Sep 25, 2013, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why do you consider yourself a Christian? because you celebrate Christian holidays?

(Catholics are Christian -- in fact, they were the first Christians.)
    Most of my family members are Christan as well. I have cousins who are catholic and go to a caholic school. Also, I believe in god so I guess that makes me a christan? And its not only because I celebrate Christmas
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybear92 View Post
    Most of my family members are Christan as well. I have cousins who are catholic and go to a caholic school. Also, I believe in god so I guess that makes me a christan? And its not only because I celebrate Christmas
    Catholics are Christians.

What do you believe about God? Does believing in Him make your life any different?

Sep 25, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Catholics are Christians.

What do you believe about God? Does believing in Him make your life any different?
    I just believe in god and I read the bible and I believe stuff a Christan would believe in and I believe in jesus christ and I believe in heaven and hell and yeah.

But I just want to know if its wrong to not go to church and still be a christan?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 07:52 PM
    How do you celebrate Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas tree, giving presents, *** that is not Christian, that is mostly pagan items used in Christmas celebration. Do you have family dinners and tell or read about the birth of Christ ?

Easter, do you do easter bunnies, eggs, ( that is not Christian either, that is completely pagan)

The bible tells us we are to gather together in fellowship with other Christians, this is not exactly a Church, there were no actual churches when the bible was written but people meet together in each others homes, or in other public places.

Prayer, a Christian is suppose to always pray, so prayer needs to be a daily thing we do.

It appears you believe you are Christian because your family belong to some denomination and because you believe in God. Satan believes there is a God and knows every word of the bible, it does not make him a Christian.

While going to church is not required, I can not go here in China because of the laws on religion here. But I do pray and meet with other Christians.

So the answer is yes or no, but it appears you need to first learn about what the bible says, and learn about what a Christian really is, then make some choices for yourself
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
    But I just wanna know if its wrong to not go to church and still be a christan?
    Why would someone go to church?

Sep 25, 2013, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    How do you celebrate Christmas, Santa Claus, Christmas tree, giving presents, *** that is not Christian, that is mostly pagan items used in Christmas celebration. Do you have family dinners and tell or read about the birth of Christ ?

Easter, do you do easter bunnies, eggs, ( that is not Christian either, that is completely pagan)

The bible tells us we are to gather together in fellowship with other Christians, this is not exactly a Church, there were no actual churches when the bible was written but people meet together in each others homes, or in other public places.

Prayer, a Christian is suppose to always pray, so prayer needs to be a daily thing we do.

It appears you believe you are Christian because your family belong to some denomination and because you believe in God. Satan believes there is a God and knows every word of the bible, it does not make him a Christian.

While going to church is not required, I can not go here in China because of the laws on religion here. But I do pray and meet with other Christians.

So the answer is yes or no, but it appears you need to first learn about what the bible says, and learn about what a Christian really is, then make some choices for yourself
    Ok thank you that helps a lot

Sep 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Why would someone go to church?
    I already said that my friends think I should because of all the reasons I don't want to say it again I already did so I was just wondering
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
    I already said that my friends think I should because of all the reasons I don't wanna say it again I already did so I was just wondering
    What would be your church?

And no, church attendance isn't required for heaven. Do you know what is?

Sep 25, 2013, 08:04 PM
    What would be your church?

And no, church attendance isn't required for heaven. Do you know what is?
    I don't know what church I would go to probably the nearest one to my house.

And yeah I want to know what is required for heaven?
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2013, 08:27 PM
    The main reason to be part of a church is to connect with other believers and make the kinds of friends who will be there when you need them, and be that kind of friend to them. Most of that happens outside the regular Sunday stuff. As a pastor I knew used to say, the purpose of Sunday worship is to celebrate what's been happening during the week.

What's necessary to go to heaven? Trust Jesus to be your forgiveness before God. He died to take away the penalty for our sins, and rose to guarantee our resurrection to eternal life. It sounds simple, and it is. It's simple so anybody can understand it and take advantage of it.

And praying is nothing more than talking. Nothing fancy, nothing canned, just talk as if you're talking to your best friend. Mostly because you are.
    Riot Posts: 130, Reputation: 29

Sep 28, 2013, 06:08 AM
    I don't know what church I would go to probably the nearest one to my house
    You need to be in a church that's teaching the correct thing, biblically. There's plenty of churches and groups out there and many do differ from each other because of their view point on scripture (ill be opening a can of worms if I say any more regarding this though).
    So perhaps pray first and let God guide you to the church he wants you to be in.
    I know when I was considering going to church a few years back I was in a similar position you are - what do I need to do to get to heaven. But the question you should be asking is - how can I be effective for Gods kingdom.

If you read some of the first few chapters of the book of Acts you can see how the Church was established after Jesus was resurected. You can read what the members did to become effective workers for Gods kingdom. While walking with God is a journey - which first starts at beliving (which is where you are currently at) there are plenty of other steps you should take. These include being baptised, in both water and with the Holy Spirit. Each step you take makes you more and more effective as you continue to grow. So you're at a good stage at the moment, but don't stop at 'how do I get to heaven' but keep going forwards, and God will help you with new steps over time.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him (Ps 34:8)
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2013, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    You need to be in a church thats teaching the correct thing, biblically.
    Funny, that happens to be the topic of my latest Bible Insights episode, linked in my signature. Briefly, "teaching the correct thing, biblically" isn't as important as finding a church that is acting out their beliefs: feeding the hungry, giving shelter to the homeless, offering medical clinics and legal clinics and that sort of thing. A church that is reaching out into the community to help people in need, however small their contribution might turn out to be. But basically, you want a church that is doing something.

I grew up in churches that were very careful to guard "correct doctrine," but the one time I saw a man in need come to them for help, they decided they didn't believe him and turned him away. I've been in churches that were nothing more than mutual-admiration societies, where three times a week we would come together and congratulate ourselves on being doctrinally correct and superior to all those heathens out there. Then we'd pray for the souls of all those heathens out there. Then we'd go home, right past all those heathens out there, and eat our roast beef.

You don't want a church like that.

Look for the church that is making an impact for good by reaching out to the least of these. That's the kind of church you want.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 29, 2013, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    I grew up in churches that were very careful to guard "correct doctrine," but the one time I saw a man in need come to them for help, they decided they didn't believe him and turned him away.
    Did you and I grow up in the same church?

Communion (and the "correct doctrine" was that only our own kind were permitted to join in) was a woman's opportunity to be in the fashion parade, as she, in her Sunday best, strolled majestically to the chancel to receive the bread and wine. Church groups and organizations (the dart league, Nursery Guild, the Dorcas Society) were opportunities to socialize and to share casseroles. We ministered to our own, not to the community, except to leave welcoming "Come worship with us!" flyers between their doors. We gathered clothing and monetary donations to send to foreign countries while people in our own county had nothing to wear and little to eat.

We are blessed by God to be a blessing to others, even to the least of them.
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Did you and I grow up in the same church?
    I'm guessing they were frightfully similar, even though they were at opposite ends of several spectra.

Darn tightwad reward system wouldn't let me give you a green, so here's a virtual one *green*
    graceyj20 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Oct 5, 2013, 05:38 AM
    A few more thoughts to the original poster:

As FR Chuck paraphrased and others alluded to
    "not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching" (Hebrews 10:25, NIV)

You note that you consider yourself to be a good Christian but from you comments you suggesting that you may have areas to improve in to find Gods favor. Consider "this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3, KJV)

Getting to know God starts with reading his word The Bible. This is his primary way of teaching us his requirements, learning about him and the bright future he has in store for those whom he finds righteous.

"And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more;
    And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be.
    11 But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
    And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." (Psalms 37:10,11, NWT)

"And I heard a great voice out of the throne saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he shall dwell with them, and they shall be his peoples, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God: and he shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more; 4 neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain, any more: the first things are passed away." (Revelation 21:3,4, ASV)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hi sir I have Christan friend need to convince her to become Muslim [ 9 Answers ]

Dear sir my friend she is Christan and had very bad impression about Islam by listening the news and looking around the Muslims (only by name} she knows, we both are resident in UK need to tell her about real and true Islam but don't know which references I use and where to start can you please...

Can a Christan go to Hell for joining the Military? [ 8 Answers ]

For the last 18 month's I've been getting ready to joing the US Army. I come from a small church, of about 80 people. We are very patriotic in my church. Doing found raisers, for family’s, of the fallen solder’s. To organizing Christmas cards, care packages, etc. I am only 1 of many of the young...

View more questions Search