Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anonym0usx Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
    Sabotaging an Employment Opportunity
    How would an HR representative view an anonymous phone call advising them that a potential new hire is a bad choice? I have reason to believe a coworker that does not like me may be attempting to sabotage my employment efforts. My references and experience are all solid.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Anonymous call? They would ignore it... why would they want to believe something unsubstantiated from someone anonymous?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 03:11 PM
    I agree with smoothy. HR wouldn't take seriously an anonymous call.

Sep 25, 2013, 03:32 PM
    Would you feel the same way if the caller identified themselves? Id
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Anonymous call? They would ignore it....why would they want to believe something unsubstantiated from someone anonymous?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonym0usx View Post
    Would you feel the same way if the caller identified themself? Id
    How did you find out about this anonymous call? If the caller identified him/herself how is it anonymous?

Sep 25, 2013, 03:49 PM
    This hasn't happened, but I fear it may. I don't know if she'd identify herself or not, so I want to cover all possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    How did you find out about this anonymous call? If the caller identified him/herself how is it anonymous?
    Pets Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
    This hasn't happened, but I fear it may. I don't know if she'd identify herself or not, so I want to cover all possibilities.
    So you're paranoid?

If this hasn't happened, what makes you think it will? You provide a lot of detail for something that hasn't happened yet.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2013, 04:09 PM
    If there is any truth in what they will reveal... there really isn't anything to do but face it when the time comes.

You are bound to come across others in your working career that will do this.

The more paranoid you look... then more guilty you will look. Meaning... the person who over reacts to an accusation is likely guilty of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
    A real professional HR person, would ask for proof and include that in their back ground check. If the person gave their name and position. Also they would have to provide facts
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 25, 2013, 04:53 PM
    I find it interesting that you think an HR rep is different from anyone else, you or I. Some may listen; some may not. Some may listen and not give it any credence. Some may even consider a negative comment from a coworker enough of an intrusion and unethical act that the coworker might end up getting fired. A lot of that depends not just on the expertise and wisdom of the rep, but also on the training they have received in their job.

What is common in HR is getting negative reports from former employers when getting history. That's one reason why many companies don't give out any info except dates of work and status upon leaving, and maybe salary. Too many employers get vindictive just because someone quit, or there is some personality difference in a small company.

In short, a coworker who goes to HR about you is asking to lose her or his own job, but who knows? You probably have a better idea of what your HR dept is like.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
    What I am not following is
    --potential new hire
    --anonymous call from co-worker

The way this is worded sounds like you are looking to get a job and you are afraid that this call worker is going to call where you want to be hired and bad mouth you. Sounds like they would be sabotaging themselves by causing you, someone they don't like, to have to continue being their co-worker.

What part am I missing?

Sep 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
    They would have to pick up my shifts (any after my two week notice) until my current employer found my replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    What I am not following is
    --potential new hire
    --anonymous call from co-worker

The way this is worded sounds like you are looking to get a job and you are afraid that this call worker is going to call where you want to be hired and bad mouth you. Sounds like they would be sabotaging their self by causing you, someone they don't like, to have to continue being their co-worker.

What part am I missing?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 06:53 PM
    They would have to pick up my shifts (any after my two week notice) until my current employer found my replacement.
    Ok, let's see if I have this...

You are worried that someone you work with now will call a future employer of yours to sabotage your getting hired so they don't have to fill in for you if you leave... is that it?

Simple solution... don't tell anyone where you work that you are applying for a new job and when it is time to say you're leaving, just don't tell employees where you're going.

Sep 25, 2013, 06:58 PM
    I didn't tell them. I happen to work with my mother and she did.
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Ok, let's see if I have this...

You are worried that someone you work with now will call a future employer of yours to sabotage your getting hired so they don't have to fill in for you if you leave....is that it?

Simple solution....don't tell anyone where you work that you are applying for a new job and when it is time to say you're leaving, just don't tell employees where you're going.
    Pets Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
    I didn't tell them. I happen to work with my mother and she did.
    So your mother is trying to sabotage you?

I don't understand what the problem is here. You assume that one of your co-workers is going to try to sabotage you while you're applying to other places. So don't tell anyone, including your mom. If they don't know where you're applying, they can't call and sabotage you. If they do what you think they're going to do, then hopefully the HR person at the new possible employment will verify what they said about you before deciding not to hire you.

Your entire thread is based on things that you think might happen, not what's actually happened. Come back when something happens, then maybe we can help, but we can't help you to stop being paranoid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
    You did tell someone, your mother, tell NO ONE, if you do not want anyone to know.

But honestly it sounds like you have made this entire story up in your mind, things like this seldom happen. Esp for minor issues like you have mentioned.

No one at a old work place should ever know you are looking for a new job. If your mother told other people, what was she thinking. If the current company knows you are looking, they are likely to even fire you and hire someone new,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2013, 03:21 AM
    You put people here in a mostly hypothetical situation, without telling nearly enough of the details. It's like asking us if you bought a Jaguar, what are the chances a coworker would slash your tires out of spite.

Bottom line is that a good HR person would not listen to a random caller. But you can't know.
    And why aren't you taking this all up with your mother?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my dismissed felony charge effect my employment opportunity with chase bank? [ 20 Answers ]

Back in 2003 I was charged with BURGLARY and the charge was dismissed, I applied for a loan processor position with JP Morgan Chase yesterday 02/21/12, I didn't complete the application because I am in the stage of applying for expungement, I saved and drafted the application because I wasn't ready...

Equal Opportunity Employment Legal Assistance [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find a forum concerned with ex-felon reentry?

Employment opportunity for F2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is Yashodha. I have a concern regarding the employment opportunity in US for F2. But first of all, would like to appreciate your site. This is one of the best sites I have visited. I have F2 visa, Done my Engineering in ComputerScience. Have a total of 7 years experience in...

View more questions Search