Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    png Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Can a person on L1B STATUS claim a std deduction
    Facts:

Status- L1b

Entered In Usa 1 Oct 2006 For First Time

So, I Think I Should File Form 1040nr Since I Don't Have Gc And Do Not Pass Subtantial Presence Test

Now, Question Is Can I Claim Std. Deduction Or Not ?
    I Read On IRS Website About India Us Teaty Which Allowes To Take Std. Deduction To Students And Business Apprentice. But Could Not Find Definition Of Business Apprentice

In Case If I Cannot Take Std. Deduction, Am I Entitled To Any Itemised Deduction?

Is There Any Other Special Deduction I Can Take For This Case?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 01:48 PM
    No, you CANNOT claim the standard deduction, as you are not on a F-1 or J-1 visa.

Yes, you can claim itemized deductions.

Did you pay for your moving expenses? If so, claim them using Form 3903.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a specific list of deductions that a person on H1B can claim? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few friends who state that if you are on H1B and working as a consultant through a consulting company, there are various deductions that you can claim. For e.g. 1) Rent 2) Grocery and utilities 3) Gas Mileage. And some others...

Can I claim for standard deduction on H1B [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am an indian citizen. I came to US in 2003 on F1... was on F1 till May 2005 and then on OPT till feb 12 2006. From Feb 12 2006 I am on H1. I am confused as to which form do I need to fil for 2006 since I shifted to H1 in Feb(resident or a non resident)... Also can I still claim for...

Where to claim deduction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how and where to claim the deductions allowed under the India-US treaty. Do I add both the standard & personal deductions and put it under exemptions of form 1040? Also, do I claim both the deductions (3200 + 5000=$8000) on the state tax form as well? thanks in...

F1-OPT-H1b std deduction CINTAX [ 5 Answers ]

I read in one of threads the Atlanta Tax Expert suggested the use of CINTAX and I tried to use it today, but to my surprise it did not fill the $5,000 treaty exemption or the standard exemption in the 1040 NR EZ form that it generated though it asked if I ever used the treaty exemption in 2004 and...

View more questions Search