Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lifevision Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
    Lkng for info - home based cookie dough bus - sell to friends & neighbors
    We want something that our teenage daughters can do that will teach them business and marketing skills and make some money, yet keep it simple as a home based business. We would follow any regulations yet we want to minimize being too regulated.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 24, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Forget about food. If you are in the US that is highly regulated.

How old are your daughters?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Where are you located? Most places you have to have licenses, vendoring license, tax identification number, inspections, food safety certification, etc...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 02:16 AM
    In US, in most places to prepare food, the kitchen will have to be licensed and inspected. All food prep will have to be by commercial standards. Including packaging and listing of items used to make.

Also business license and should have insurance and product liability.

You may also find, having a small business in your home, may or may not be against local housing codes. Also it may alter, void or need a change in your home insurance.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 25, 2013, 04:44 AM
    Cookie dough is about as dangerous as it gets, because of uncooked eggs.

I see no reason, however, why selling baked items just to neighbors and friends isn't a good way to learn business. I have several very cute and unusual 'sprinkles' that I buy on eBay in bulk to put on top of cookies and brownies etc, different ones for holidays and seasons and some are just cute, like little pink pigs. They add something unusual to a good made-from-scratch brownie especially.
    For Thanksgiving, mini pumpkin cheese cakes? Or just pies, pies, and pies.
    No baking from packaged mixes. They are so easy to do no one will pay someone else for them.
    Always add something special, something like a little Belgian chocolate (also can be bought in bulk - I bought 55 lbs at a time and broke it up and sold it by the ounce).
    Beware of baked items that need a box. Boxes are very expensive. Bags!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can You Make Cookie Dough Ice Cream? [ 6 Answers ]

I Have Recently Brought An Ice Cream Maker And Want To Experiment With Things To Make. Press Dough Cookie Maker

Pizza hut cookie dough [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have the recipe for pizza huts cookie dough Thanks

Home based cookie business [ 1 Answers ]

I have been baking and selling hand-decorated sugar cookies from my home. I am getting a good client base and a lot of visibility. What steps should I take in making my business "legal"? Do I apply for LLC? Has anyone had any experience with this? I live in Virginia and this is all very...

How to start a home based cookie dough business? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for information to start a cookie dough business to supply to local businesses.

View more questions Search