Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2013, 10:58 AM
    Gas furnace flame timing
    I have a Goodman high efficiency gas furnace which is about 8 years old. It seems to be working fine.
    I had it cleaned by a technician today. He observed that the flame stays on for a couple of seconds after the power is shut off and that this is dangerous and needs to be rectified. He recommends a replacing the control panel at around $450 for parts and labour. Is he correct?

Frankly I don't see the harm of a two second delay for the flame to shut off.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 24, 2013, 06:23 PM
    Contact Goodman tech support directly and tell them what is happening. They will be able to tell you if this is normal or not. I don't suspect the board, but maybe the gas valve. Or it may be completely normal.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
    I too suggest contacting Goodman but at the same time I think you have a salesman diguised as a service tech on your hands.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
    I agree completely, Grady. Salesman, or simply an under qualified tech. Im willing to bet that five out of ten techs are under qualified for simple trouble shooting and proper repair of residential heating/cooling systems. Heck, that may even be closer to 8 out of ten in certain areas. Even worse, I am certain that there may be a 10 out of 10 ratio in some small communities.
    Meir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2013, 05:45 AM
    I contacted Goodman by email and got a response that the problem is likely to be with the gas valve rather than the control board.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the update.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2013, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    I agree completely, Grady. Salesman, or simply an under qualified tech. Im willing to bet that five out of ten techs are under qualified for simple trouble shooting and proper repair of residential heating/cooling systems. Heck, that may even be closer to 8 out of ten in certain areas. Even worse, I am certain that there may be a 10 out of 10 ratio in some small communities.
    Do I hear 12 out of 10? Some are so bad they'd qualify as at least a negative 1.
    Believe me. I work with one.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Ha, I know how you feel some days. It is hard to find good help and some just don't seem to be able to comprehend or learn. Got to catch them young and teach them I guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace - no flame [ 4 Answers ]

Hope someone out there can help, because it's going to get cold this weekend! I have a split HVAC unit with furnace in attic. Written on front of unit is Intertherm. Inside panel of unit says Nordyne, and the Ignition Control is Robert Shaw. The unit is 13 years old and the heat worked fine...

Gas furnace, fan works, but no flame [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace. House is 55 degrees. Thermostat is set at 80 degrees, switch on furnace is in on position and fan/blower works, Gas is present in hot water heater 24": away on same line and stove works in kitchen. Breakers are OK. Furnace does not light. No gas smell. Help!! ...

Furnace blower will not stop after flame goes out on gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace blower will not stop after flame goes out on a gas furnace

Gas furnace Cycle Blows but no Flame [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Comfortmaker Furnace that is about 3 years old. It will act like it is going to turn on with the blower moter kicking on but the flame never turns on. Then the motor stops. Then about a minute later it repeats the cycle. It will do this for about 5-7 minutes several times a day. ...

Gas furnace, intermitant flame [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Day &Night gas furnace and the gas flame will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off for several seconds. The pilot stays lit and the thermostat calls for heat. The blower continues running as the flame cycles. Any idea where to start trouble shooting? Thanks for any help, Greg

View more questions Search