Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theftstudent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
    Theft under 5000 (high value) first offence experience
    First off, I want to say that my story is very unusual, but just wanted to let people know that sometimes situations like mine occur. I also have a question at the end of this post. (For those willing to answer my question can skip to the end of the post).

A few weeks ago, I was caught shoplifting at the Bay with a value of about $1200.
    I was stopped by three plain clothes LP officers. They took me to the back, and I was cooperative and remorseful. I remember them saying, "Holy ****" when they saw the shears and the hammer I had in my bag used to remove the security tags.

Anyway, I told the LP guy that my future plan was to become a doctor, I had good grades in school, this was my first offence, etc. He told me that it wasn't personal, but he had to call the police. The police officer gave me a notice to appear and left.

The LP officer than told me he would walk me out, and before leaving said, "listen, you're too smart to be doing this. I've caught alot of guys, and this isn't for you. Go to court dressed nicely, you have a very good chance of just getting a slap on the wrist." (By the way I am not trying to make excuses to people on the internet; I am just telling a story).

So, I am scared to death and go into a little depression for the next few days. I call as many lawyers as I can for a free consultation. One lawyer told me he would charge me $3250, and told me to expect the case to take up until maybe even December to be resolved. Another lawyer asked me for only $850, and assured me I won't be getting a criminal record. He also told me this would take only six weeks to resolve. I went with the second lawyer.

Up until today, I've pulled all-nighters trying to find past cases that were similar to my case, and I couldn't do so. All I could find was that the value I took was substantial, and the use of tools was also an aggravating factor.

Tomorrow would have been my fingerprinting date, but today I received a text message from the police officer who charged me. He wrote that the charges have been dropped, and that he wanted me to call him back. I call him back, and he tells me that I am going to a good school, and I am from a good neighbourhood. I should stay out of trouble. Lastly, he tells me not to bother showing up to the police department tomorrow for fingerprinting and not to court either.

I am not going to say I was sorry for shoplifting because obviously no one is going to believe someone online anonymously saying so. Anyway my story is unique, and my lawyer told me that he has never seen a case being dropped like this before. I don't want anyone who has been charged with theft thinking the same thing will happen to them. I was VERY lucky. Honestly, I think it was the LP officer who felt sorry for me. I heard bits of what he told the police officer, and he said I was smart, remorseful, and cooperative.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST, now my question is:
    I don't need to go get fingerprinted, so if I do a vulnerable sector check in the future, will a withdrawn theft under 5000 charge be shown? Also, will this affect possible plans to travel to the States/ Will this charge be stored in the CPIC?

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers my question and to anyone who actually read this whole thing! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2013, 05:30 PM
    A police officer can not drop the charges, in fact once turned over to the state or crown ( you did not say where this is) the police officer has no control over this at all,

Sounds more like someone is messing with you, or even wants you to miss the fingerprinting, to get you intro more trouble.

By the terms you use, I will guess Canada, your attorney needs to talk to the Prosecutors office and confirm that charges where dropped, the police officer would normally not even know if they were, he would just not be called to appear.

Being remorseful means nothing, sorry about this, almost everyone is sorry they get caught and act like they are sorry.

If charges are really dropped there will not be any notice for your prints, if you show up. And your attorney should go with you, to confirm that no prints are needed. And not allow you to be printed if charges are really dropped

Sep 23, 2013, 05:42 PM
    Thanks for the reply Chuck. I did speak to my lawyer right after I spoke to the police officer. He advised me to go to the police station tomorrow and ask whether I am still required to submit fingerprints. He also said he would check on Thursday, when he is in court, whether I am still in the system. I am 99% sure that the man who called me was the police officer that arrested me because he knew details about the arrest only he would know, and his voice was exactly how I remembered it. Anyway, I wonder if the police officer could get in trouble if he actually is lying to me. I'll come back around tomorrow to update on the story. Oh and my location is in Toronto.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2013, 05:56 PM
    Not sure why he would lie but yes he would be in trouble but how do you prove he said it, he could say he just called for some additional info, your word against his.

The fact you had tools to use in the crime, makes this more serious and shows it was planned, not just a crime of opportunity. I agree with attorney, go to printing, ask, let lawyer follow up

Sep 23, 2013, 06:03 PM
    I do agree with everything you said. I have proof because he actually sent me a text saying that my charges were dropped, fingerprinting was not required and to call him. I realize this seems very sketchy and I am approaching this situation with caution. Thanks for the reply!

Sep 24, 2013, 11:05 AM
    Just updating. I went to the police station, and they told me that I was clean after checking my ID. My lawyer will still be double checking with the court. After some more thought, I realized that it was probably the police officer made some mistake which is how he knew that my "charges were dropped".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under/assault 1st offence my experience [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 24 year old male from Toronto. Long story short I was charged with theft under and assaulting store security the item was under $10. I wasn't guilty of theft, but I did try to flee the scene. Anyway, I was accepted for a diversion program immediateLY and I agreed just to get on with my life...

Theft under 5000, second offence. [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with theft under 5000 back in high school for taking a laptop from an open locker. I was 15 at the time. I am 20 now and last month was caught stealing from old navy a pack of 20 dollars shirts, stupid I already know. Police were called and I have a court date and fingerprinting. I...

Theft under $5000, second offence ? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ontario, Canada. When I was 12, I stole from Walmart and they called the police on me . They let me go with no warning or fine but I think I might have got a record, I'm not sure . Being an idiot I am, I stole again, this time they gave me a court date and to go to the police station to...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

First offence theft under $5000 [ 7 Answers ]

Today I was arrested for shoplifting at walmart. It was about $75 worth of makeup(3 items).. my court date isn't for over a month... does anyone know the outcome for something like this?!

View more questions Search