Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catz9281 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2013, 09:42 AM
    Medical - kidney function
    I had a CT scan a week ago with contrast dye (iodine). Since then, my creatinine levels have gone from 1.4 to 1.5, 1.6, and 2.0. I understand the creatinine blood test indicates the level of creatinine in the blood, that should be filtered out by the kidneys.

I want to know how the creatinine numbers relate to kidney failure, and when dialysis is necessary.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
    This s a multi faceted question. Creatinine levels increase for many reasons, one of course, is reduced kidney function that does not necessarily lead to dialysis. The other reasons are hydration and medication, blood pressure medication.

You had the scan because your doctor noticed other issues relating to compromised kidneys. He needed to confirm with this test. Of course you must be a type1 diabetic.

I would suggest you direct any further questions regarding this, and the issue of dialysis, with your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Kidney Infection turn into kidney failure answer needed asap [ 2 Answers ]

If you don't take your antiboitcs for a uti and kidney infection can it turn into kidney failure and how fast? Is it normal for people to feel like the infection is gone and no more symptoms without taking antibotics?

Can a Kidney Infection turn into kidney failure answer needed asap [ 6 Answers ]

Can a Kidney Infection turn into Kidney Failure? I was hospitalized and put on antibiotics for 2-3 days but still was given antibiotics to go home with but if they aren't taken could the infection turn into kidney failure

40 percent kidney function [ 2 Answers ]

My kidney function is 40 percent after 34 years of high calcium and vitamin d intake. I will have to take these medications I know damage kidneys for the rest of my life. I guess my question is how long will that life be? I have hypoparathyroidism since thyroid cancer removal at 17. If anyone...

Checking kidney function after donation [ 2 Answers ]

I am sorry if this is the wrong section, but none seemed to fit. I donated a kidney to a friend almost 5 years ago at UCLA. I researched the living sh*t out of the surgery and stats on living kidney donors at the time, and found no reason to worry. They were almost nonchalant about it and never...

View more questions Search