Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Broncowolf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2005, 10:34 AM
    Leaky outside faucet
    I just noticed that my faucet outside doesn't work right. When I turn the faucet on, I get water leaking BEHIND the faucet outlet when connected to a hose or cover the end of the faucet with my hand. When there is nothing restricting flow, the water leaves the end of the spigot just fine. When the faucet is turned off, there is no leaking. What should I do? Can anyone give me any advice, please?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Leaky outside faucet
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncowolf
    I just noticed that my faucet outside doesnt work right. When I turn the faucet on, I get water leaking BEHIND the faucet outlet when connected to a hose. When not connected to the hose, the water leaves the spigot just fine. When the faucet is turned off, there is no leaking. What should I do? Can anyone give me any advice, please?
    If you have a backflow preventer on the sillcock then you don't have a problem. I'll bet the water stops leaking BEHIND the faucet outlet when connected to a hose soon after you shut the faucet off and that it doesn't continue to leak. You're simply equalizing the backpressure that has built up in the hose. To check this. Leave the end of the hose open and run water. Now shut the water off. The back pressure will then exit through the open hose and not through the hose bib. If I've misunderstood the question click on back. Regards, Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2005, 07:29 PM
    If I read this correctly I'm guessing the packing is shot in your hose bib. I had the same problem with a PRIER brand bib (they call them hydrants at PRIER) and ordered a new packing. Does your Hose bib have the name of the manufacturer on it anywhere?? If so see if they are still around and sell parts.

When the bib is turned off the packing is not in contact with water (ie. No leak) but when the bib is on/open the packing seals the stem to the body of the bib not allowing water to pass.

Good luck.

Feb 12, 2005, 06:57 AM
    I was able to pull out a little of the pipe connecting the spigot and saw that the pipe had burst a couple of inches in from the spigot causing the leak. Thanks for the help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Leak in outside hose bib
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncowolf
    I was able to pull out a little of the pipe connecting the spigot and saw that the pipe had burst a couple of inches in from the spigot causing the leak. Thanks for the help.
    I'm a little confused. You said that after the hose bib was shut off the leak stopped. That's impossible if the pipe were split behind the hose bib. There is always pressure in the system "a few inches in from the spigot" so you should have been leaking 24/7. Please satisfy a old mans curiosity and explain how this can happen. Cheers Tom

Feb 13, 2005, 12:24 PM
    After turning the spigot off, I pulled the spigot (and pipe behind it) out a little from the wall and that is where I saw a large burst (about 2" long with a maximum opening of about 1/4" across). Water would leak from this spot only when the spigot was turned on. However, inside that copper tubing I could see rod going right down the middle. I assume this rod was connected to the spigot handle and turned with it which forced the actual shut off about a foot down the line... It sounds like this is unusual?

I ended up calling a plumber to replace it and it took him about an hour. Unfortunately, I was not home when he was here and don't have the old faucet/tube. But, it is fixed now.

Thanks for all your advice.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Yeah, that is a ''frostproof'' spigot. It is just like a normal one except the stem is long enough to have the handle outside, but the seat is inside. Theory is that when you shut it off, all the water runs out except what is back inside where it is too warm to freeze. It doesn't work if a hose or something obstructs the water beyond the seat from running out. You must fix the right thing. Replacing the stem won't help if the leak is elsewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky Bathtub Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Stanadyne (I've been told this is now Moen) bathtub faucet that leaks out of the spout when it is turned off. I'm not sure how to describe the faucet other than it is a single-handle that I pull away from the wall and then turn right or left to adjust the water temperature. It looks...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

Leaky washer faucet [ 1 Answers ]

After thinking it was my hose leaking I came to realize the leak is coming from the knob of the faucet stem where it goes into the fauce. All advice is needed and appreciated! Little j

Leaky Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle shower. The brand is Kohler devonshire. It drips constantly. I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated Rich

Leaky Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

In my house the basement was originally a cellar. The owners before me extended the house over the stairs. When it rains ground water seaps in through my stairs(The stairs are the original concrete stairs). Any ideas on a quick fix?

View more questions Search