Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nbutler23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Pnuemonia in unborn babies
    Can unborn babies contract pnuemonia and if so how?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 08:29 PM
    No, they can't. Why do you ask?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 08:29 PM
    If the mother has it. My son was born with upper respiratory infection and I had bronchitis. See your doctor.
    Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
    If the mother has it. My son was born with upper respiratory infection and I had bronchitis. See your doctor.
    I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way.
    Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 08:45 PM
    An unborn baby cannot have pneumonia. It's not possible as the lungs do not work in a fetus the same way they work with us who have been born.

The fetal lungs are filled with amniotic fluid until it is squeezed out during the birth.

Sep 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    No, they can't. Why do you ask?
    Have been told by a close relative that there unborn child that was born at 22 weeks and lived for 7 minutes died of pnuemonia and I have never heard of it so just wanted it queried the mother never had pnuemonia while she was pregnant so just couldn't figure it
    Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
    The age of viability is 24 weeks. Pneumonia cannot be diagnosed at 22 weeks because the lungs are not yet developed at that stage of gestation.

Age of viability means that it is near impossible to keep a baby alive at a gestational age of less than 24 weeks (in layman's terms).

What had most likely happened was that the baby suffered respiratory distress syndrome because it did not have lungs at that point, only what is called "lung buds" in the medical community.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
    This is what I always thought.
    Neonatal Pneumonia is the infection of the alveoli (air sacks) of the newborn lungs. It usually occurs in premature infants, babies born with congenital conditions of the respiratory system, and neonates with immune defects which make them prone to infections. It is most commonly due to virus, and bacteria
    https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/248281

I know my son was not released from the hospital right away due to his respiratory infection. As soon as he was born it was noticeable.
    Expert

Sep 19, 2013, 09:10 PM
    You may have had GBS, Group Beta Strep, that was not tested for as regularly back when you had your son.

Trust me, this is my profession. I know this so very well, I could answer questions in my sleep.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2013, 09:11 PM
    Thank you J_9
    That is why I ask because I know you have answers

Sep 20, 2013, 12:14 AM
    OK thank you for your feedback has been very helpful the mother was a smoker, drinker and recreational drug user and has said that the post mortem has come back and said bubs died cause of pnuemonia but with what you have said it doesn't make sense

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting unborn babies [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just found out she is pregnant. She wasn't wanting another baby. So her and I are womdering what we need to do so I can adopt her child when it is born

Unborn babies weight [ 1 Answers ]

Is it maximum or minimum that unborn baby weight 2100grms at 33 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy? Im only 147.5cm in height. is the baby too big for me or just normal? Thank u

Severe Pnuemonia and Hair Loss [ 2 Answers ]

I recently suffered from sever pnuemonia which lead to me being on life support for two week. This was about three month ago. I have recently noticed my hair if falling out, not in clumps but if I run my fingers through my hair I usually bring out 2 or 3 strands at a time. I am very worried...

Advise on pnuemonia [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently suffered from severe pneumonia, I ended up on life support in intensive care. I am 41 and consider myself to be of good health. The hospital were very surprised at me have pnuemonia and said it was very unusual for someone of my age. I am still very much in the dark as to how I...

View more questions Search