Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Regency Period Military Regalia
    Hello,

I am working on a creative writing piece and am hoping someone here is knowledgeable about the Regency period, particularly with British Officer regalia.

I am interested in using a part of a British Infantry Officer's uniform known as a gorget in a critical part of the story. I have 2 questions:

Would this device denote which regiment the bearer served?
    Would this device have been engraved for a particular individual on the reverse?

Many thanks!

Emily
    Arctodos Simos Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

Apr 19, 2007, 09:29 AM
    The best article, doing a quick search, I could find on gorgets was this:-
    Gorget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps
    Bye for now
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 19, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I think it was a stiff leather collar, that was painted white, and was generally only worn by enlisted men.
    It was said to have been unbearable, and downright painful, as it would eventually cut into ones neck.
    My info comes from later period, 1700-1810 or so. It was said to be the first thing that was always "lost" in the field. I think it was purely for looks and as a way of asserting authority, over the soldiers. It's main use was to make them keep their heads up. And at attention. At this time the soldiers often had to braid their hair and have it powdered.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Thanks! I was hoping to find out how an officer would have gone about acquiring one. Would there have been a particular silversmith, etc. that he would have gone to when getting his uniform in order.

Apr 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
    From any info. I've come across on military regalia (swords etc) is that an officer would either get it made by a craftsman or trader associated with or sanctioned by the regiment, or if they were particularly wealthy they would get it mabe by their own craftsman (either someone the family always went to or in the employ of the family).
    Bye for now.

Apr 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
    This co actually sells several different ones
    Product Index - The Discriminating General

These are links to several reenactor groups they are really the ones that keep this stuff alive. The thing is that most "actual" historians (college professors so forth) tend to shy away from the military stuff these days. They try to focus more on cultural history. But these amateurs can tell you allot of stuff. If you contact some of the, I am sure you can get help (they love to display their knowledge)
    Useful Links
    Other Reenacting and Historical Websites.
    Useful Links - Military Re-enactment Sites
    The Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards(1815
    Articles and Research

Apr 19, 2007, 11:35 AM
    The leather neckpiece worn by enlisted men was called a "stock".
    Unlike the original use of a gorget it was not there for protection.
    The main reason that the enlisted men wore these, as far as I can determine, was to extend the neck and keep the chin up so as they would look good on parade.
    Although the two items may have many similarities, the purpose behind them was very different.

Apr 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Thanks, I was not even close.

Apr 21, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Any luck?
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Not so far. Since it is a piece I want to use in a creative writing project I am going to use the creative side rather than research side to make it work.

If anyone finds this thread and can point me in the right direction, I am still interested!

Apr 21, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Hi Me again
    Looking through various sources (both in non-fiction and historical fiction) the only parts of the British forces in the Regency/Napoleonic period still wearing remnants of medieval armour (gorget, cuirass etc.) were certain of the mounted troops, specifically Lancers.
    As the article I mentioned before the gorgets< as part of the uniform, had become mostly stylized, being a thin band suspended by a chain or chains.
    Even though it seems to have been mostly phased out of the British uniforms, they were still more common in other countries uniforms (German, Spanish etc.).
    I haven't seen any close up pictures of these gorgets, so I cannot be definitive on what decoration they had.
    Hope this is helpful
    Bye for now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military Service [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm new to this board and thought I would just ask your advice if that's OK? I'm currently 20 years old and I have had enough with civilian life, I need something more and have decided to join the British Royal Marines as a standard commando, I've thought a lot about it and I don't care...

Military or college [ 4 Answers ]

So my whole life up to now (im a senior) I've had college pushed down my throat, I do want to go and I'm waiting for accecptence letters as we speak. But Latly a lot of my male friends have been going off to iraq. The more I think about it the more I want to go, Maybe not marines maybe airforce or...

Military wedding [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know do u have to use red, white and blue for you wedding colores? That's just not me. :eek:

Military wedding [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not engaged yet, I'm getting the ring on his next leave ( one month).. but however he wants to get married with in like 3-4 months, where as I wanted to get married in about 9-12.. how ever that is changing.. I'd marry him tomorrow if I could. I want a simple wedding, I don't need anything...

View more questions Search