Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
    Compulsive Overgrooming
    Unky, one of my cats, is a compulsive overgroomer. He eats the fury off his back and the back of his legs. It's been going on for over a year. For a few months, it was getting better, but he started back up again a week or two ago.

He's three, fixed, doesn't have fleas, and has no signs of illness. His diet hasn't changed in months, and the closest thing to medicine he gets is hairball remedy. I moved my cats a few months ago, but he'd stopped overgrooming a couple months before that, and just now started up again. I think it's a learned behavior that turned into a nervous tick, because it started after his mother started overgrooming after getting fleas.

Dies anyone have any suggestions on how to get a cat to stop overgrooming?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2013, 08:18 PM
    Rescue Remedy Search Results - Find cheap prices for Bach Flower Essences, Rescue Remedy Spray - PriceGrabber
    StopKatieTime Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 04:00 PM
    It could be just dry skin, unless his fur is actually falling out or leaving bald patches, which could be a variety of things. Wondergirl is right about what she posted, but if they don't work you should try asking your vet.
    jackiemodica Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Cats can over groom or any reason. It could be behavioral brought on by stress. It could also be seasonal allergies. September would be about the right time for it to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compulsive picking [ 56 Answers ]

How does one stop the compulsion to picking at their skin? I have scars all over from picking at the tiniest zit or bump on me. It becomes huge and takes forever to go away. Anything aside from attending meetings and such. I don't think outing such an embarrassing thing would help me much. ...

Compulsive Liar [ 4 Answers ]

I have three childrend and recently moved in with a man who has three children to three different women (all the children live with him) and he has a step son who comes to stay whenever he feels like it. The step son seems well adjusted as does the eldest son - it is, however, a very disfunctional...

Compulsive lying [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have just admitted I am compulsive liar I need help! I am not sure where to go for advice, my partner suggests my GP.

View more questions Search