Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Mar 28, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Father's Rights
    My best friend just had a baby, and now the father of the baby is taking her to court for custody (he is threatening to at least). My friend and the baby's father were never married, but he signed the birth certificate. My friend does not want to let him take the baby because he is an alcoholic, and is drunk 24/7. He even drives drunk, and does not have a drivers license. The main thing she is worried about is he makes very good money, and he has a really good attorney. She does not have the money for an attorney. What are his rights? Does he have a chance at getting custody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
    First as soon as the baby was born, they needed to go to court and get a legal custody agreement,

He has all the rights as a father does, right to sue for full custody, for joint custody, for visitation, She will need to prove with evidence that he could be a danger to the child, but even then, most likely he will get some visitation even if it is supervised.

Next the court will award child support, So it is to her best interest to file first for custody to clear this up, since as the father, with no court agreement, he has custody rights now, if he had physcial custody of the child he could keep the child as easy as the mother can without a court order in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disabled Father's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently summoned to take a Paternity test by the county my girlfriend lives in here in New York State. Now what happens when they find me the father? I am disabled at the moment and trying to get SSD. My doctors will all vouch for me. I am still in the waiting period for my SSD. I have...

A non-involved bio-father's rights [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 7 years old and his biological father hasn't been in life AT ALL. I am married now and my husband has been his father since he was 18 months old. We want my husband to legally adopt him. His bio father is in jail. What steps can we take to have his rights taken away for non...

Father's Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Does a father have any right if a woman wants to have an unplanned pregancy? Can she demand anything from him if he does not want to participate?

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

Natural Father's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

Long story short. Dated a women I'll name "Jane" several times. On the last date, she said she had a husband who was in jail. The fact that she was married was enough to end the relationship. Since then I have married a longtime sweetheart. A month and a half after we split up, "Jane" told...

View more questions Search