Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    byrd4701 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Is there a HIPPA Violation
    Woke up in sever pain, thinking I slept the wrong way. After running hot water to loosen muscles, pain became more severe. Went to health care facility where I work. Basic vitals taken, but no EKG to confirm no heart attack. Sent to waiting area for approx. 50 minutes without being assessed by a Provider. No contact with Provider. Left facility to been seen by another. Admitted to outside facility under different Insurance Plan due to severe buldging disck in neck, with severe vein inflammation. Is it permissible for the nurse that did not seek further assistance , not following the "Standard of Care Protocol" to call me 4 days later from her private cell home asking "why did I leave, why didn't I stay" at this time I was admitted to hospital, second day stay. I have not worked in this department for at least 3 years. Has a violation taken place.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2013, 06:30 AM
    Time to take a read of what HIPPA actually is.

Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule

I don't see how any violation occurred.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2013, 06:55 AM
    Someone showing concern is not the same as someone sharing your private information with others. It is probably standard procedure to make sure they do not get sued for your not receiving care because you up and left. She probably needed to follow up for their sake.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Your wording is unclear anyway - the nurse who told you to wait called you at work, but called the wrong department (on her personal cell phone), and asked 'someone' there why you left?

I agree that there is no violation of HIPAA laws. Some small part might have been against company policy, depending on how much was said on that call. Talk to personnel. 'Privacy' about medical situations at work is mostly a myth.

The clinic might be on the hot seat for just taking vitals and sending you back to wait. I would have gone to the desk to say you were leaving, so as to have proof of how long the wait was. There is no 'law' about waiting room time, but I'm sure they are monitoring their own procedures, given that you were then hospitalized.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2013, 07:54 AM
    From what I understand it was her works healthcare nurse.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2013, 08:27 AM
    I got that... but the nurse called him while he was in the hospital, but somehow got him at work, but he didn't even work in that department...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 18, 2013, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Your wording is unclear anyway - the nurse who told you to wait called you at work, but called the wrong department (on her personal cell phone), and asked 'someone' there why you left?

I agree that there is no violation of HIPAA laws. Some small part might have been against company policy, depending on how much was said on that call. Talk to personnel. 'Privacy' about medical situations at work is mostly a myth.

The clinic might be on the hot seat for just taking vitals and sending you back to wait. I would have gone to the desk to say you were leaving, so as to have proof of how long the wait was. There is no 'law' about waiting room time, but I'm sure they are monitoring their own procedures, given that you were then hospitalized.
    The nurse called the OP 4 days later to ask why she left
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 18, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The nurse called the OP 4 days later to ask why she left
    Intake nurse or triage will do vitals and confirm reason for visit before actual examination; patient will then return to wait to be called
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Bottom line here. Is the OP went to the facility where she worked, but left that facility before completion of care and without informing anyone. Four days later, someone from the facility called to follow-up why the OP left.

If that is the case, then I don't see any HIPAA violation a all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is this a hippa violation. [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a massage clinic and went to another massage clinic (a chain) to get a massage. The nexyt day my boss came to me and told me that she knew that I had gone to that other clinic. I had filled out an intake form at the clinic where I received the massage so they had all of my personal...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had fallen 6 ft and landed on my lower back and had NO feeling in my lower back and legs. I was taken to a local hospital and was placed in a room for 2 hours before the doctor said that I would be going to x-ray. In the x-ray room the tech asked me to move over and I told her that it...

HIPPA Violation [ 1 Answers ]

To make a long story short, a relative who works at the hospital accessed my medical file and then gave the specifics on my medical tests, condition, prognosis, etc. to other relatives. :eek: What recourse do I have in a situation like this? Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

View more questions Search