Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamien Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Business license
    Do you need a business licence to start your own cleaning business?

Do you also need to be insured if your employees steal from your clients?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
    To operate in most cities, you will have to have a business licnese issued.
    There are many exceptions, such as in some states if your business address is based outside of the city limits and there is no county business license issued,

If you are in the city limits normally you will get a business license there.

And you don't have to be insured against anything, you just get your check book out and write a check for any thefts to pay your client back.
    But if you don't want to pay for it out of your own pocket yes you will need liability insurance and other business insurance.
    Remember a chemical can be said to cause some health issue to an employee, or an employee falls and hurts thierself, so you will need workers comp insurance on them also, of you will have to again get your check book out and pay for their medcial bills and lost of income while they get better
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Jun 22, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Insurance is mainly for breakage. Bonding is for protection from employee theft. Most states will just want you to register your business with the state and a license is not required. You can check your state's requirements by going to SBA: WHERE TO OBTAIN BUSINESS LICENSES.

Good luck!
    Stacy
    Start Your Own Small Business With Professional Business Forms And Support - Home
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 12:10 AM
    Where I live, it is not necessary to register a cleaning business with the state. Also, you will need bonding if you do have employees.

Jun 26, 2007, 04:22 AM
    You don't have to file a DBA? How does the state know you are in business to be able to collect taxes from you? How do you get a business checking account if you can't show proof you are in business. A DBA is not a license. It is mainly a way for the government to know you are in business. In my state it costs $50 and is required.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
    No. I don't have to file a DBA. I do business under my name. That's why a "Doing Business As", or DBA is not required. Have been in business, on and off,since 1974 in various occupations involving the service industry such as piano tuner/technician, furniture refinisher, brass refinisher, house painter, house cleaner (recently), handyman (Have done just about everything that a person could do when being a handyman. I don't do the things where the work MUST be done by a licensed contractor and then inspected by a city inspector upon completion of the work.) Also, in the entertainment industry as a professional musician on various instruments.

There have been periods when, in addition to being self-employed, I have been employed by places that have taken taxes out of my pay check. The taxes taken out then help me to pay the taxes on my personal businesses. I have not been employed every year by someone else when I have been self-employed.

I don't have a separate business checking account. It is not needed. Using Quicken and making photo copies of checks that I receive is how I keep track of money received and also spent on my businesses.

Over the many years that I have been paying taxes, there has never been a question. If there was a problem, and with the variety of things that I do for a living, I think that in the approximately 34 years that I have been in business and paying taxes, I think that someone would have mentioned it by now.
    ThorntonRemodel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Where do I go get a business license? I am starting up a handy man business.

Aug 16, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Go to SBA: WHERE TO OBTAIN BUSINESS LICENSES find your state and click on it. Most state websites will allow you to register your business online.

Good luck,
    Stacy
    Start Your Own Small Business With Professional Business Forms And Support - Home

Aug 16, 2007, 07:19 AM
    [QUOTE=Clough]No. I don't have to file a DBA. I do business under my name.

I called the state agency here in PA and they said if you do business under your last name such as Johnson Shoe Repair, you do not need to register. Any other way such as Stacy's Shoe Repair, you do. She said that is the norm across the board.

Glad I got that straightened out... I thought it was your first name.

I am really learning a lot from this board :)
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
    [QUOTE=HBF]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    No. I don't have to file a DBA. I do business under my name.

I called the state agency here in PA and they said if you do business under your last name such as Johnson Shoe Repair, you do not need to register. Any other way such as Stacy's Shoe Repair, you do. She said that is the norm across the board.

Glad I got that straightened out...I thought it was your first name.

I am really learning a lot from this board :)
    I'm glad that you found out the answer for Pennsylvania.
    BeverlyC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamien
    do you need a business licence to start your own cleaning business?

do you also need to be insured if your employees steal from your clients?
    Yes to licence, no to insurance
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyC
    Yes to licence, no to insurance
    Whether someone needs a license to be a cleaner depends on the laws where they live. I know that you don't need a license to be a cleaner where I live.

Unless someone wants to be paying for any damages or theft out of their own pocket, they should have insurance.

It's best to read all of the answers to a post before posting your own answer.
    Handy_Mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
    Comment on Clough's post
    Thorough and infomative as are just about all his answers! Wish he was my neighbor or friend!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business name [ 5 Answers ]

How do I go about registering the name of my business and to keep the right and idea for my business so peopledo not take and use my idea

I want my own business [ 3 Answers ]

I've had the dream for ages and its on paper, I've done all the planning. All the finiane is in place. I need to know what I need to do next. Where do I registor my business, what do I need to do. Phone tax office, national ins. Can you please tell me. I'm not sure on the next stp forward before I...

About license [ 2 Answers ]

I am a handyman and have been doing a little of everything for several years now. I would like to get an electricians license, but at this point in my life I can not afford to work for an electrician at starting wages. Is there any other path that I can take. Can you recommend any literature...

A license? [ 5 Answers ]

Do you need a license to drive a boat in the state of Massachusettes?

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search