Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George0000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2013, 04:50 AM
    Was Jesus really born on the 25th December?
    Was Jesus really born on the 25th December?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 16, 2013, 04:55 AM
    No, as this date didn't exist at that time.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2013, 05:19 AM
    Some say he was born fall or spring. Not summer or winter. The Catholic church decided to mix Christian holidays with pagan festivals.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
    We don't know the date or even the general time of year of his birth. The Catholic church adopted December 25 to coincide with a festival the pagans were already celebrating, and transformed the celebration into what we know as Christmas today. It's no longer a pagan day, obviously, you can tell that by all the good little prim and proper shoppers taking care to keep the real purpose of the celebration in view. Still, it was a pretty clever move by the church, since people were already used to having a celebration on that day, turning it into a celebration honoring Jesus. And since we have no clue what the actual birth date was, it really doesn't matter when (or if) we celebrate it.

So the short answer to your question is, probably not. We don't know.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Some say the fall because of the climate and the stars. I'd have to look for a site explaining that.
    This is another way people have determined when they believe he was born.
    Birth of Jesus Christ - Here a little, there a little - Holy Days
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Dave, you crack me up. Why can't more Biblical scholars be funny?
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
    I was lucky; when I finished my Masters, I realized through interacting with people in my church that I could no longer speak English. Scholarese was my only dialect, and I was literally the only person in my personal circle who understood it.

So I went on a personal campaign to re-learn English and try to form a bridge between the two languages. That's why I'm always looking for better ways to, as Walter Martin used to say, "get the hay down out of the loft onto the barn floor where the cows can get at it." That's not a personal slam at anyone, just a metaphor, by the way! It means taking all the technical crap that only a select few understand, and translating it into something real people can follow. That's pretty much become my mission in life.

As I said, lucky. My goal was the sullen halls of academia, but God spared me. This life is much more interesting.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Sep 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
    George - it doesn't matter which day he was born, man. What matters is that we understand the significance of his birth.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Not only do we not know the date of his birth, we don't know even know for sure the year it occurred. Most estimates put Jesus's birth some time between 4 BC and 6 BC. Which means the term "BC" is an oxymoron!
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
    Yep. We've known for centuries that our calendars are a few years off, but they're so entrenched now, trying to fix it - even if we knew how many years to adjust - would cause a nice global disaster. So we're stuck with it.

Still, it always provides a nice tool for those who seem to think world events are somehow tied to that calendar; my favorite were the Y2K people who decided Jesus was coming back at the turn of the millennium. So they were anxiously watching the skies at the end of 1999, not realizing that if Jesus really DID time it to be 2000 years after his birth, he should have already come back several years before that. Trying to help people like that keep from parading their ignorance is a big part of the reason I strive to be an educator.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Oct 12, 2013, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    That's why I'm always looking for better ways to, as Walter Martin used to say, "get the hay down out of the loft onto the barn floor where the cows can get at it."
    I'm a Walter Martin fan myself.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Still, it always provides a nice tool for those who seem to think world events are somehow tied to that calendar; my favorite were the Y2K people who decided Jesus was coming back at the turn of the millennium.
    They were wrong on several counts - first as you point out the 2000th anniversary of Jesus' birth occurred several years prior, but second - even if Jesus had been born in the year 1 AD per the Gregorian Calendar the 2000th anniversary would have been in 2001, not 2000. Same mistake was made by all the partiers who celebrated the new millennium a year too early.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2013, 06:19 AM
    I am not aware of any Biblical scholar that believes it was on December 25. The fact of the birth is what is of importance, not an exact day. There is large debate even over the year, as noted many think it is several years difference.

There is a lot of myth and of course anti christian discussion over dates of many Christian holidays, some, as the legend goes, for Christmas, it was used, since it allowed Christians to celebrate it, without others giving notice, since it was a day they were celebrating for other reasons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My last peroid was December 25th, 2010 and I'm pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Calculate my due date

Did Mary have to be Sinless for Jesus to be born sinless? [ 158 Answers ]

The RC proposes that Mary had to be pure (i.e sinless) for Jesus Christ to be born sinless. We know that the scripture says that no one is sinless except Jesus Christ. So is this doctrine scripturally true?

You must be born again, what did Jesus mean? [ 127 Answers ]

What did Jesus mean when He said in John 3 - 3Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be...

View more questions Search