Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RGPATTER Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2013, 02:10 PM
    Rectifier bridge connected to line
    Some time ago some one asked a question about hooking a bridge rectifier uip to the line voltage rather than the secondary of a transformer. They were informed that such an arrangement would not even be discussed. What is the reason for this position?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 02:19 PM
    Can you reference that post.

Sep 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Can you reference that post.
    I'll try to find it. I'm sorry I'm not having any luck It was in 2011 I believe.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 03:24 PM
    So what is your question on the subject. Keep in mind that this is an Electric and Lighting board not the Electronics board (there is an Electronics board on AMHD however). Perhaps that was the reason, but such response would be unusual. It would be more normal to just refer the poster to the Electronics board.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2013, 04:18 AM
    If you had or were going to use a bridge rectifier it would be important to know what the maximum rated input voltage and current was...
    Line voltage could be 120V... a rectifier that operates at this level would not be inexpensive...

The last time I did anything with a bridge rectifier it was maybe 10Vdc and a few milliamps...

Is there a more specific question?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2013, 06:36 AM
    You can use a bridge/diodes for rectifying any voltage they are rated for. Check the specs.

Some rectifiers and specs, can use a full wave bridge or 4 diodes:

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors...iers/_/N-ax1mf
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Pretty common to go from 120 VAC to DC for yard blowers and similar.

Sep 16, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    So what is your question on the subject. Keep in mind that this is an Electric and Lighting board not the Electronics board (there is an Electronics board on AMHD however). Perhaps that was the reason, but such response would be unusual. It would be more normal to just refer the poster to the Electronics board.
    Maybe that was where I saw the post. I've searched the electrical and lighting posts back to 2009 with no luck. If my memory serves me, it gave the impression that it was a safety issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 1.5 inch copper line be connected to pvc? [ 3 Answers ]

Can 1.5 inch copper line be connected to pvc without sweating? If so with what connectors?

Why is a thermostat connected to a line wire? [ 6 Answers ]

Why is a thermostat connected to a line wire?

2008 honda accord EX at what location the fuel line is connected to the engine? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the fuel line on the engine on a 2008 honda accord 4 cyl

Flex gas line connected to fireplace burner safe? [ 4 Answers ]

I have always been aprehesive about flexible gas lines. The home I just moved into has a new ventless natural gas fireplace. The gas comes into the fireplace via a flex line which is connected from the main gas line nearby. My question is... are the flex lines rated and approved to be used INSIDE...

View more questions Search