Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Sep 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
    Steps to take in becoming a private investigator?
    Looking for classes/schooling/ideas in developing skills to work in the private investigator career path. I'm aware it won't be like Hollywood and that some could even consider the work "boring" but it's something I really wish to pursue and would love to here some advice especially from those in the field or a related one. I've been told that college degrees are useful in computer forensics, criminal justice, psychology, and human relations. The problem is there's no class that teaches all these things so it's hard to decide on just one, plus the fact that there are no degree requirements in the first place. I've read up and some people suggest becoming a cop first, then getting into the private sector. Just looking for some advice and assistance making heads or tails out of all the suggestions. Also I live in Ohio if that matters.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 01:56 PM
    How old are you now and at what point are you in school?

Of course, courses in psych and sociology, criminal justice, forensics, the law in general and legal terminology, human development, computers, maybe finances or insurance. The more you know about anything and everything, the better you will be as a P.I.

Occupational Outlook for Private Detectives and Investigators | The American P. I.
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Sep 19, 2013, 10:59 AM
    I'm 24 and have no formal education other than a high school diploma. I emailed a PI in Ohio and asked him and lets just say I have quite a bit of work to do should I choose to pursue this endeavor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Most PIs need to be licensed by the state. So I would start with the requirements for a license in your state.

Most PIs do not investigate crimes. They do skip traces, process serving, maybe some surveillance, if they get a good rep they might get some industrial cases. If they get real good (and lucky) they hook up with one or more attorneys to do case work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I become a private investigator in Tennessee if I am an ex felon? [ 27 Answers ]

Can I become a private investigator in Tennessee if I am an ex felon?

Can an ex- felon be a private investigator? [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in becoming a private investigator but I have a few felonies dated back about 8 years ago, can I still be a private ivestigator?

I am looking for the last name of a famous private investigator. [ 1 Answers ]

Not a fictional character. This was in 1980s Dallas. First name Bill, he had a house with a horse in front that had a secret camera in the horse's penis.

Can an ex-con be a private investigator? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if a ex-con like myself can be a private investigator in any U.S state?

View more questions Search