Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puppypiddle13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2013, 08:02 PM
    Excited puppy pees even after he has been out to bathroom
    My puppy is now 5 months old. He gets excited and pees even after I have taken him out to go to the bathroom. How do I get him to stop?
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
    My favorite way to train a puppy is to put him in a very confined space, just big enough for him to lay down in. Consider a puppy crate that will fit him after he grows, but put a box or something in it to make the space smaller. He will likely not want to urinate where he has to lay. Be sure to take him outside often; first thing in the morning, after meals, when he awakes from a nap, and before bedtime. If you play with him, do it outside, not on the carpet. When he starts to get the idea of doing it outside, you can start to let him out of the crate for very short periods at first, then lengthen as he becomes reliable.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 08:50 PM
    Crate training is a great idea, but it's not a good idea to keep your puppy in a crate all day, with only brief periods of potty time and play. A puppy should only spend one hour per month of age, in the crate during the day, and no more than 8 hours. At 5 months of age your puppy should not be in the crate for longer than 5 hours during the day, and will likely need a potty break every 5 hours during the night.

Training is the best way, not confining. When you take puppy outside let him have plenty of time to potty. If he's very excited he may not be concentrating on what he has to do. The first pee is likely not emptying his bladder. So, give him a chance to calm down, and do what he has to do. When he does go outside, lots of praise, a treat, act like he just cured cancer. When he potties inside, and you catch him, a firm no, and take him directly outside. If you catch him mid pee, interrupt him, and take him outside.

Soon he'll learn that when it's potty time, it's not play time, and pottying inside is not okay.

Good luck with your pup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy pees in his crate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 11 week old wired hair pointing griffon-large breed I am home all day with him and in the processs of crate training which we began @ 8 weeks, that part is going well. He is on a srtict 2x day feeding scheduale and has plenty bathroom breaks outside as well as 2 long walks a day combined...

Over excited puppy [ 24 Answers ]

I have a 4 month lab puppy. He is vey hyperactive. I have a nice garden and a pond.When I ty to let him loose he runs all over and spoils the whole garden. I have told him many times no in stern words but he still runs all over. It is the same if I bring him inside the house. He just runs around...

My puppy gets excited and doesn't want to eat [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to feed my puppy on a schedule but he gets too excited and wants to play and not eat. What do I do?

Puppy pees maybe a little too much? [ 1 Answers ]

Callie is 11 weeks old now. She has been doing very good with her potty training. She knows where she's supposed to do her business and loves the praise she gets for doing it. Whenever I take her outside she normally pees like 3 times in probably 3 minutes while she's out there. And when I am...

Excited Daschund pees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini daschund who is just a year old and pees whenever someone new comes in the house or we come home. She even pees immediately after being taken out if someone else enters the room she hasn't seen. Sometimes it is only the size of a nickel but still annoying. I know 4 mini dacs and...

View more questions Search