Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pelusawoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Homelite 12-amp mower is dead
    Bought this clean-looking Homelite corded mower with a new blade second-hand. Got it home, plugged it in, and nothing happens (yes, there is juice from my extension cord). Checked the switch: common goes straight through, hot ohms correctly when switch is activated, another green wire seems to be connected to hot also (not green as in ground, though). Going across moter, it ohms with very little resistance (should be correct). There is a component that looks like a big resistor... some kind of voltage step-down? Ideas, anyone, why this won't run?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
    Did you see it run before you bought it?

I don't care how clean something looks... I would assume its broke and pay accordingly if I bought it taking a chance.

I've seen too many broken... defective or worn out electrical items that looked nice visually.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Big thing is probably a bridge rectifier. Jump 12 VDC directly into the motor. If it runs replace rectifier. They are at Radio Shack and are pretty inexpensive. Didn't test before?

Sep 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Big thing is probably a bridge rectifier. Jump 12 VDC directly into the motor. If it runs replace rectifier. They are at Radio Shack and are pretty inexpensive. Didnt test before?
    No, at the auction you can't test prior to bidding. Just the way it is. Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure on the input voltage.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2013, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelusawoman View Post
    No, at the auction you can't test prior to bidding. Just the way it is. Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure on the input voltage.
    Look at the motor specs. Many are 12 volt. Newer battery only models are 18 or 25 volt.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
    Hi,
    What you are saying is a resistor is likely a capacitor and could be the trouble.
    Always wise to give the model, or in the case of Homelite, the UT number.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
    I agree with Crigby.
    I wouldn't cross any wire unless I was sure what they go too.
    Could be the brushes are wore out.

Sep 19, 2013, 07:42 AM
    Thanks, all, for your help. I replaced the switch and the rectifier, and all is well. The motor is like new and there is barely any grass stuck to the bottom, so I think it wasn't used much before something happened, electrically speaking. Anyhow, it's good now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 12 amp homelite corded electric mower blows the circuit breaker(s) when I pull the [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 amp homelite corded electric mower blows the breaker on whichever plug I use. I have changed cords - same problem. How do I fix the mower problem?

12 amp homelite electric mower won't start up [ 1 Answers ]

We borrowed my in laws mower and I did half the grassy area, turned it off (let go of the handle). Went inside to check the time and now it will not start! I took the mechanism on the handle you use to start it apart and it seemed fine. Any suggestions? I would hate to have to buy them a new mower...

Homelite Electric Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Our Homelite Electric Lawn Mower is not charging. When initially plugged in, The charger showed one green light and one red light. It is supposed to take 15 hours, but it has been more than a whole day and it's still not showing two green lights. Is the charger bad or do we need a new mower...

I have a homelite riding mower model # 990924 and I'm trying to find out how olditis. [ 0 Answers ]

The riding mower I own is a homelite model # 990924 serial number 002244. I'm trying to find out how old it is and see about how much it is worth. It still has all the original parts and paint. Anyone with info about it can email me directly at [email protected] or add me as a friend...

12amp Homelite Electric Lawn Mower [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: I was "happily" cutting my grass when it just stopped. I heard a sound (maybe a belt slipping if that exists) as it wound down to nothing. I have checked the cord, tried another cord, checked the circuit breaker and spun the blade around. When I spin the blade around I hear a clicking...

View more questions Search