Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mbgranberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2013, 01:58 PM
    I want to become a fashion designer at 12 what should I do?
    I want to become a fashion designer I've been doing it since I was seven years old and the problem is that I'm still a child I'm twelve years old. So I already know how to sew and I've created about seven outfits already and about seventy in my portfolio. I want to start designing my own clothes so people can wear them outside of my household but then again I want to do a lot but like Cecilia Cassani she is the youngest designer ever. How did she ever get started as a young child. Please help me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2013, 02:31 PM
    I was reading recently about a 15 yr old who designed a line of flip flops that she managed to sell to major stores. You might want to look her up for inspiration.

My suggestion is you limit your designs to one type clothing. Tops, skirts, pants, etc. Then develop a half dozen designs. From there you need to market. Maybe tape a fashion show and put it on You Tube. But the bottom line is you need to interest some retailers in carrying your designs.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
    I have a feeling that her mother and grandmother not only inspired her, but also provide her with materials and a website. It is convenient to have family already in the business... but not vital.
    Keep studying all subjects. You need math and history and English (you won't get ANYWHERE using the word wanna), and even plenty of sciences to learn about fabrics. Why history? There are more fashion jobs in Hollywood and museums than there are with famous designers, and to become famous takes years of struggle. (I see no evidence that 10 year old Cecilia is making any money yet.)
    I've heard stories of people who did something like take 10 string bikinis into a Neiman Marcus and get orders for 500 more! You never know what trial and error works.
    And of course there's getting on the TV shows like Runway.

Learn terms. Do you know warp, woof, bias, selvage, tulle, toile, faggoting, serge - I can think of a hundred words. Study fabric history and clothing of different eras, how textiles are made, it goes on and on. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to become a fashion designer , but I'm 11, what should I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I am really good at it and I think I'm ready for the industry. The problem isn't I'm nervous it is that there's no schools to go to when your 11. I want to be discovered but I think I need to go 2 New York 4 that, but I'm just not quit ready 4 that so I need help!

Fashion designer wannabe [ 15 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there looking for a fashion designer that can draw out ideas, but can't sew? If not, do you know where I can go to find someone like that? Anywhere I can look? I'm trying to teach myself how to sew a little better, but until then, what to do?:confused:

View more questions Search