Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 12:09 PM
    Inverter installation on work truck
    Hi guys!

I have a 3500W/7500W (peak) inverter I want to install on my truck. With my specific requirements, I think there are two installation options:

1) Install the inverter 30 linear feet (in terms of running the wires) from the battery and run large cables from the inverter to the truck battery, or

2) Install a battery next to the inverter and run smaller wires between the new battery and the truck battery (30 feet away).

I am wondering what size wire for #1 option above (I am getting confused on 00 wire, 1/0 wire, etc.).

I am also wondering what size wire you would recommend for option # 2 above. Further, regarding option #2, would a deep cycle marine battery be best here?

I will be installing a 600 Amp. ANL inline fuse (on positive) and will be running basic power tools off the inverter.

Please advise...

Thank you.

Mark
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
    30' is just too far. At 3500 watts you're drawing well over 300 amps when you account for loss.

Mount the inverter as close to the battery/alternator as you can.

Option #2 isn't that effective. The alternator will be trying to keep the battery charged. Worst case, you have a battery that's drawing a great MANY amps to recharge and an inverter that's also drawing a lot of power. If the truck is not running, if you don't "isolate" it from the truck you'll have two dead batteries.

Can the vehicle alternator handle the demand?

Here's option #3, stick a portable generator in the bed of the truck. It's self contained and you can run it for hours.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 02:32 PM
    My thoughts for what they are worth.

I think the question is, or should be, how much power do you need. Second is what size alternator do you have or are willing to install on your truck.

A 200 amp alternator puts out 2400 watts at 12 volts. 2400 watts converted to 120 volts is 20 amps. Next question is how much does a 200 amp alternator put out at idle speed. Assuming your need if for motorized electric tools. AC electric motors need a sine wave current. The cheaper inverters put out a square wave signal. More expensive inverters put out a modified sine wave signal. Top of the line inverters put out a true sine wave signal. Expect a 20 per cent loss in power using a square wave signal to a AC electric motor.
    Cable size is determined by amperage. A 30' cable capable for 200 amps at 12 volts is bigger than you would want to carry around. 20 amps at 120 volts would require #12 or possible #10 to minimize voltage drop.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Just needing to run a drill or a sawzall on a very rare occasion is all... not planning on using it every day or for long periods... more for emergencies, really!

Thanks for your input guys!

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 09:52 AM
    Lithium cordless tools with extra batteries. Combined with a small, cheap inverter on your truck, so you can charge on the go, should give you the ultimate in convenience.

I seldom pick up a corded drill any more, except for my hammer drill. Don't have a cordless hammer drill but going to get one some day. I have an off brand cordless sawzall but not lithium. Good for short uses but batteries are always dead. That is nice thing about lithium batteries, charge is suppose last for a year.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
    should give you the ultimate in convenience
    That is exactly the idea, Harold!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Truck driving with poor work history. [ 3 Answers ]

How hard is it to get a truck driving job with poor work history? I saw a company is hiring but they want good work history for the last 3 years. Since I got laid of in August of 2008 my work history hasn't been the best. I have a clean driving record and a clean criminal record.

My truck heater fan motor won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 1/2 ton 2WD Chevy pickup. The heater fan motor has been giving me fits for a while now. I have replace the resister that is behind the glove compartment, the switch that is on the dash and pulled the motor out and attached it to the battery to make sure that it worked. What is the...

Tie rod 97 chevy work truck [ 1 Answers ]

How to install tirods for a 97 chevy work tuck V6 is it complicated Any tips or suggestions have done a lot work on cars and trucks but never this

View more questions Search