Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Sep 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
    Good horror films for scaredy-cats?
    We recently got netflix, and the horror section looks so intriguing. However, I'm an utter horror wuss! What are some good films to start on? With regards to older films being less scary, I think it's a bit of both. I found Nightmare on Elm Street scary, while The Shining, The Exorcist and Carrie were brilliant and not particularly scary to me.

Some films I have seen all or parts of, and found to be far too scary or unpleasant (So you get an idea):
    Silent Hill
    The Happening
    Saw
    Hostel
    The Human Centipede
    Battle Royale (Not particularly a horror, and I appreciated it as a brilliant film, but I was absolutely terrified!)

If anyone has a list of recommendations, that'd be great. I've seen a lot of them, but interested to see what people would list as films for wusses. Thanks in advance folks!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 07:47 AM
    It's hard to say... you ask for a list of "films for wusses" yet your idea of wuss is not mine so I can't even guess.

Other than the Human Centipede, I think your scared list is a wuss list. Battle Royale was an excellent film but I found nothing scary or terrifying in it. The others on that list are a joke to me. This is not to insult you, it is just to show you that one idea of horror may not be the same as another.

All I can say is that I have a list of films that I like... that you could try... yet they may be too much for you as my horror tastes seem to be different than yours. With that said, Netflix does have an excellent section of top rated as well as B rated horror films. Just try some out and see how it goes.

Sep 14, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    It's hard to say....you ask for a list of "films for wusses" yet your idea of wuss is not mine so I can't even guess.

Other than the Human Centipede, I think your scared list is a wuss list.
    Thanks for the response.

I consider myself a wuss compared to my fiancé, who isn't particularly scared by films. Oddly, though, he was scared watching Carrie! I usually look into the plot a bit too much, hence being scared of Silent Hill and The Happening. I found them very disturbing, imagining how trapped I would feel were they possible. (Another being the newer War of the Worlds)

As for Battle Royale, I found the deaths to be very unpleasant. I don't get kicks out of grisly scenes. (Hannibal cooking scene, anyone? :[ )

If you have a list of films that you don't consider scary (Lets say, that you would let your young teen watch) that would be great. I'd like to IMDB a few without going through the entire list, as I've scrolled past some that have disturbed me, and brought back some horrible images!

Why on earth do I want to watch any if I'm so sensitive, I hear you ask? I need to get desensitised some day, haha!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
    What to you is horror? Something suddenly leaping out of the sea or from a hidden place? Someone eating something alive (like the money brains in Silence of the Lambs)? Gore and bloodshed? Fog and swirling mist?

Like odinn said, your horror may not be someone else's horror. For me The Shining and Silence of the Lambs were horror. I still get nightmares about Ted Levine doing his dance to "Goodbye Horses" or Jack Nicholson's face.

I think you are just going to have to watch film after film and compile your own list. And what is horror to you now may seem pretty lame to you in 20 years.
    Entomology Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 08:12 AM
    You see, that is what I was trying to tell you. My problem is I don't seem to communicate well... lol. It's hard for one person to say what will be scary for another person.

How about this... my daughter is 13. She just recently started watching horror.

What has scared her so far:

The Others
    Pet Sematary
    Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

What hasn't scared her:

Zombie films
    Evil Dead (old and new)
    Mama

There are others but that should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Films that should be scary, maybe aren't... it depends on the person.

Sep 14, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What to you is horror?
    I'm open to any suggestions! Whether it is something like Cabin Fever, which is a horror for teenage boys. Shaun of the Dead, a horror-comedy. Or even Predator, which to some would be considered action, not horror. So any suggestions, I don't want to have to be so specific. :)

What has scared her so far:

The Others
    Pet Sematary
    Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark

What hasn't scared her:

Zombie films
    Evil Dead (old and new)
    Mama
    I've heard of The Others, I'll have to have a look at those, thank you. And I have to say, I'm rather terrified of zombies! I have a phobia of drunk people and zombies remind me of them. Haha!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 08:33 AM
    My son suggests The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity (2007) - IMDb, The Insidious (2010), and Quarantine (2008) - IMDb.

Sep 14, 2013, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Aye The Exorcist is one of my faves :)
    Paranormal Activity - Those films scare some of the serious horror lovers!
    Quarantine - Looks rather good, I'll have to have a look into that one.

Thank you! X
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 08:38 AM
    I had edited and added The Insidious (2010). :)
    Entomology Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 08:52 AM
    If you don't like zombies, the Quarantine series will terrify you. They are based off the original Rec series and are really well done... but they have mutants... really mean mutants.

Along those lines would also be 28 Days Later as well as 28 Weeks Later.

Try The Descent... slow moving first half where they build the characters but the second half is non-stop.

Evil Dead series are fun.

Some of the Asian horror films they have on Netflix are awesome. If subtitles don't bother you, Asian horror is the way to go... some fantastic films are produced for the Asian horror market.

Sep 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
    If you don't like zombies, the Quarantine series will terrify you. They are based off the original Rec series and are really well done....but they have mutants...really mean mutants.

Along those lines would also be 28 Days Later as well as 28 Weeks Later.

Try The Descent....slow moving first half where they build the characters but the second half is non-stop.

Evil Dead series are fun.

Some of the Asian horror films they have on Netflix are awesome. If subtitles don't bother you, Asian horror is the way to go....some fantastic films are produced for the Asian horror market.
    Oh my not too sure about Quarantine then!

The Descent, I remember this one, I watched it with an old boyfriend. I got scared so I held a mirror up to my face and looked at myself when it got too suspenseful haha. I think it was the leg breaking I mainly didn't like. And the pick through the neck. Eurgh!

I remember seeing 28 days later when I was 14, (And at school, the teacher was fired for 'corrupting us'!) and it was very frightening! Very good film, but that 'chopping him up before he turns' moment will always stay with me... My friends and I couldn't eat our lunch!

Is the Asian "The Ring" any good? It's one I've been considering. I do think I should give them a go, after all having to read subtitles may give me something else to focus on if things get too intense :D

On the note of Asian horrors, there was a film years ago that I have one small memory of. He was a murderer and was obsessed with taking photographs of his killings, I just remember him taking a photograph and it was done so dramatically. Like FLASH! Do you have any idea what this film is?
    Entomology Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 09:41 AM
    I haven't seen The Ring... well, I mean Ringu. I have heard it is better than the Americanized version.

Asian horror is often good because I have found that in many cases, they pay attention to story line, which is important to me. Some are incredibly brutal though.
    MystMoonstruck Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Sep 15, 2013, 12:20 AM
    I'm 60+ years old, and I have been watching horror films since childhood. These are some of the movies that stood out for me and lured me into rewatching them numerous times.

The Haunting (1963) ~ The 1999 remake has a great house, but the rest of it isn't worth much.
    The Wicker Man (1973) ~ The remake is abyssmally awful!
    Warlock (1989) and Warlock: The Armageddon (1993)
    Deep Rising (1998) ~ basically, giant monster movie
    Night of the Demon aka Curse of the Demon (1957)
    The Wig aka Scary Hair aka Gabal (2005)
    The Legend of Hell House (1973)
    The Company of Wolves (1984)
    Reincarnation aka Rinne (2005)
    Premonition aka Yogen (2004)
    The Medusa Touch (1978)
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    It (1990 TV miniseries)
    The Changeling (1980)
    Burnt Offerings (1976)
    Darkness Falls (2003)
    The Lost Boys (1987)
    Dead Silence (2007)
    The Guardian (1990)
    Ghost Story (1981)
    Fright Night (1985)
    Candyman (1992)
    Nightbreed (1990)
    The Other (1972)
    Halloween (1978)
    The Brood (1979)
    Phantasm (1979)
    Wind Chill (2007)
    Suspiria (1977)

Sep 15, 2013, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
    I'm 60+ years old, and I have been watching horror films since childhood. These are some of the movies that stood out for me and lured me into rewatching them numerous times.

The Haunting (1963) ~ The 1999 remake has a great house, but the rest of it isn't worth much.
    The Wicker Man (1973) ~ The remake is abyssmally awful!
    Warlock (1989) and Warlock: The Armageddon (1993)
    Deep Rising (1998) ~ basically, giant monster movie
    Night of the Demon aka Curse of the Demon (1957)
    The Wig aka Scary Hair aka Gabal (2005)
    The Legend of Hell House (1973)
    The Company of Wolves (1984)
    Reincarnation aka Rinne (2005)
    Premonition aka Yogen (2004)
    The Medusa Touch (1978)
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    It (1990 TV miniseries)
    The Changeling (1980)
    Burnt Offerings (1976)
    Darkness Falls (2003)
    The Lost Boys (1987)
    Dead Silence (2007)
    The Guardian (1990)
    Ghost Story (1981)
    Fright Night (1985)
    Candyman (1992)
    Nightbreed (1990)
    The Other (1972)
    Halloween (1978)
    The Brood (1979)
    Phantasm (1979)
    Wind Chill (2007)
    Suspiria (1977)
    Excellent list, thank you! IT! I remember watching that on Video, it was only rated a 12 here but it was still rather scary!

You've also reminded me of a few I've been wanting to watch but forgot about. Thanks!
    MystMoonstruck Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Sep 15, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniCalifornia View Post
    Excellent list, thank you! IT! I remember watching that on Video, it was only rated a 12 here but it was still rather scary!

You've also reminded me of a few I've been wanting to watch but forgot about. thanks!
    I'm happy to have helped! All of these are great to revisit to me, and they vary from old-style chills (The Haunting) to some gore but with a great story (Candyman). I don't mind gore if there is a solid story being told, but I don't like the gratuitous stuff of today.

Here are some additional titles:
    Dolls (1987)
    Wolfen (1981)
    Asylum (1972)
    Madhouse (1974)
    The Tingler (1959)
    The Howling (1981)
    The Uncanny (1977)
    Vampire Circus (1972)
    The Monster Club (1981)
    The Vault of Horror (1973)
    Witchfinder General (1968)
    Shadow of the Hawk (1976)
    Tales from the Crypt (1972)
    Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
    The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)
    An American Werewolf in London (1981)
    Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)
    Creepshow & Creepshow 2 (1982 and 1987)
    Poltergeist trilogy (1982,1986 and 1988) ~ I think that even the third one is worthwhile viewing, as it has some impressive visual moments using the mirrors of the high-tech structure.
    Trilogy of Terror & TOT 2 (1975 and 1996) ~ These are on the list because the native fetish doll (He Who Kills) is worth checking out though his original appearance is much better. It is the one that many of frightening memories of and is often asked about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cave horror films? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I think this movie is from the 80's. It's about two guys who disappeared in a cave. A search party was sent in the cave to find the missing guys. The search party were attacked by some white humanoid entities. The humanoid beings were very sensible to sound and they used what appeared to be a...

Hbo 1980 horror films [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a horror movie from the 1980's played on HBO, a group of teenagers go camping, the killer is a man that killed or his mother died( can't remember) and he keeps her in the cabin, he hunts them killing most , he would dress up as his mother (sometimes). Can anyone help please... Thanks!

Horror films on HBO in 90 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys have you seen this movie about a newly discovered barrier that divides two places and behind that barrier are strange people living peacefully. The barrier was guarded by armies then there was this one army,while watching the people who live behind that barrier he fell in-love with someone...

New horror films [ 0 Answers ]

Host of Saturday night's horror films on television in the early 1960's [ 2 Answers ]

In the late 50's or early 60's on Saturday nights there was always a horror/monster movie on. The host of the show was named 'Zachrely" he had his wife in a dumpster, he was always doing experiments with cauliflower as brains and i remember him calling for "yonish". He was hilarious. Heavy...

View more questions Search