Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneillnz Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2005, 09:24 PM
    Internet Connection Hijacked
    My internet connection has been hijacked. Every time I connect my username and dial up phone connection are changed. I reset them again and again but very I reconnect they are changed. I think something has hijacked my default settings and keeps restoring there own one. The number they put in is an international one that costs a lot every time you ring it. Any help would be appreciated.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2005, 05:26 AM
    Hijacked
    Hi,
    You have Spyware/Malware in your computer.
    To get rid of it, do the following:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.download.com/CWShredder/3...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run.

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.2
    Great, free, program that STOPS spyware, trojans, home page hijacks, etc, BEFORE they get into your computer. Check it out at CNET at link:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Best of luck,
    fredg

Feb 8, 2005, 01:28 PM
    Re Internet Connection Hijacked
    Thank you fredg

I have done as you said and there have been positive results. Two little probelems remain

When AdAware is run it still comes up with the following critical

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:software\microsoft\windowsnt\cu rrentversion\winlogon"Shell"(explorer.exe soundmon.exe)

And

When I log on to Google I am redirected to www.powow.com\greenleaf420\c4t\c4t.htm a screen then comes up asking if I wish to upgrade my explorer the only way I can get out of this is using cont alt del also I notice that the Microsoft updates are continually downloading

Hopefully these problems sound familiar and you can suggest a remedy

Thank you again for the excellent advice you have given me thus far

Cheers

Maurieo

Feb 8, 2005, 01:54 PM
    Re Internet Connection Hijacked #2
    Further to my reply

When I log out of the internet and go to work offline a popup comes up saying that a program has requested info from r00nauf.info ansask which internet connection I wish to connect with I tick the box saying don't ask me again to get rid of this.

Hoping you can help

Cheers

Maurieo
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2005, 08:36 PM
    Yet Another Hijack This Sufferer Needing Help
    The following link provides a comprehensive online tutorial for detecting and removing the various bits and pieces of Hijack This.

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/hjttut.htm

Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2005, 11:50 PM
    Thanks for Help
    Thanks for the help with this problem. I believe I have solved the immediate problem and am now in control of my own internet connection. I have a sneeking feeling that parts of the infection still exist however regularly runnibg add aware seems to keep everything at bay. Thanks for the help

Cheers

Maurieo
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2005, 11:42 PM
    Also go to winpatrol.com and download the latest free version which will protect your home page from ever getting hijacked in the first place. Have had it on my computer for almost 2 yrs. And a box will pop up telling you something is trying to change your home page and you just click no and your settings are retained with no changing being allowed. Small program but works great and you won't have to use spybot, ad-aware or anything like that to get rid of the hijacker since winpatrol won't allow it in the first place. I read these posts from people who've had their computer hijacked and I just think-only if they had winpatrol they wouldn't have these kinds of problems.

Feb 21, 2005, 02:07 AM
    Thanks I will give it a go
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2005, 06:16 AM
    One,
    If you have Win XP, you might want to check out Microsoft's new free anti-spyware utility. One of its advantages is that's it real time protection like an anti-virus. It blocks the malware from being installed.

You can find it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Adware
    Hi,
    As an afterthought, if you don't want to use the new Microsoft Adware program, the free Spyware Blaster does the same thing, and runs great with all windows operatiing systems.
    It can also be update, with latest detections, free, with new ones every week.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet connection [ 6 Answers ]

Please forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology here. I hope you get the point. My question is I was wondering how come my internet works by the symbol at the bottom right hand corner of the screen that shows your internet connection is showing that it is not connected. The symbol...

Your Internet Connection Speed [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I visited, it says I haven't been on since dec 6th, I was gone due to work, xmas shopping, and traveling. Anways I was wondering what kind of internet connection everyone uses. Back in my home in California I have cable internet, which is great and super...

Internet connection speeds [ 10 Answers ]

We've just had a small upgrade in our connection. From a nice 1 Meg line to 4 Meg and soon to 8 Meg all for about £20 a month, about $40 ! How good is your connection? For a quick speed test go here and post your results. ***** Speed test *****

Windows XP and internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone please help me? Recently I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional. Now every time I connect to internet and start browsing or downloading, a message flashes on saying “This shutdown was initiated by NT\SYSTEM. Remote Procedure Call Service terminated...

Internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Dear group I've a P4 1.7MHz PC with 128Mb RAM, loaded with WinXp OS. My problem is as soon as turning on my computer the IE is loading automatically and made a connection to my default home page, without any permission. What is the problem and how can I solve it? Any help will be thanked

View more questions Search